Digital Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2001, 10:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Guys, I bought this Sub-Woofer a couple of years ago. Its from JBL and rated at 100Wrms. It also says "Digital Amplification". Its performance..JUST ok..not even worth saying good, but not bad. Do any of you guys have any idea about digital amplification?.

-XL.
Old 22nd October 2001, 03:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

my understanding is that the older digital amplifications schemes (1-5 years ago) sucked pretty bad. At best they were a DA converter on the same board as an amp, or at worst they were high effeciency class-D designs that were loud but had higher distortion than class-AB's. Thats assuming that it actually is a digital amp, and not just some strange marketing ploy. Some IC makers are making real digital amps now, some even say they sound good, but i've never heard any.
Old 22nd October 2001, 03:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It doesn't even carry a power transistor in the circuit, but JBL alone knows how they amplify the sound.. any way I have decided to use it for parts.
Old 18th November 2001, 02:27 PM   #4
pa is offline pa
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to pa
Default DIY class D amplifier

Hi !
I want to build a good amplifier, first i had think to build a class A Tube amplifier, but someone talk me about this forum and Class A Pass amplifier with Mos Fet (single end single stage zen.. or 2 stage Aleph) but these are not very efficient. A class D will be efficient but could we reach the quality of a pure class A with a class D amplifier ?
I'will be very interested in class D shematics, experiments, listening tests compared with other techniques such as Mos fet or
tubes..

for an experiment of class D amplifier see :
http://listen.to/audioexperiment

best regards..
Pa
Old 18th November 2001, 10:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Pa, Why not just build a class AB amp? That's what most, actually almost all amp are. They are more efficient than class A, and sound better than class B or D amps. Class D amps are complicated and expensive to build and I will probably never build one, but I have no interest in class D. Class AB amps are simple.
Old 18th November 2001, 10:23 PM   #6
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Class A amps do sacrifice efficiency, but offer the most distortion-free sound possible. You can almost guarantee that a class D amplifier will never be sonically equivalent to a class A amplifier. Class AB is a good compromise between efficiency and distortion.

If you'd like further information regarding Pass Labs amps, I would suggest reading older or starting a new thread in the Pass Labs forums, or for more questions about class D amplifiers, a thread in the Solid State forum. You're likely to get more responses that way.

[Edited by Super on 11-18-2001 at 04:27 PM]
Old 19th November 2001, 12:05 AM   #7
pa is offline pa
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to pa
Default AB... Beuuurk :-(

Thank you, I have several "good" AB...
It's dirty compared to a single End Tube Class A, i just Had and there is a Big difference, i never want to ear another AB amp. Class A are so good..
And a Class D can be High quality see (e.g Tact millenium...) maybe a Pass...
Pa
Old 29th November 2001, 10:17 PM   #8
Helix is offline Helix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A well designed class B baised on the 'new' topology can be better then a class AB. In fact many say then are not unlike class A amps, but with all the efficency (ideal for subs)
Old 30th November 2001, 07:29 AM   #9
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Have you guys seen a new PWM amp from LC Audio???

http://www.lcaudio.com/
Old 30th November 2001, 09:33 AM   #10
Helix is offline Helix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

looks and reads fantastic, but would like to hear more tech info. and how much do they cost?

Hide this!Advertise here!