S/PDIF Optical to S/PDIF RCA Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. Is it electrically possible (and easy) to replace an S/PDIF optical jack with an RCA one? :D

I ask because my PCI audio card has an optical jack but my JBL LSR monitors have RCA jack digital inputs. So, I was thinking I could scavenge an RCA jack from an old, dead piece of equipment and solder it up replacing the optical one.

Yes, I am unaware if there are any data protocol differences and that's why I'm asking. :confused:

Note: there is an add-on ribbon-cable-connected "daughter" card to connect to the existing PCI card that would provide an RCA digital jack but it is extremely hard to find and so expensive to not make it worthwhile. Ergo, my jack replacement question.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Joe

If you're looking for a "quick & dirty" sollution then look onto the soundcard board. The optical transmitter has 3 pins. Digital, ground and 5V as far as I remember. You can take the signal from there through a say 0.2uf polypropylene coupling capacitor, but make sure that the monitors you are using can withstand 5V levels on the digital input.

lucpes said:
If you're looking for a "quick & dirty" sollution then look onto the soundcard board. The optical transmitter has 3 pins. Digital, ground and 5V as far as I remember. You can take the signal from there through a say 0.2uf polypropylene coupling capacitor, but make sure that the monitors you are using can withstand 5V levels on the digital input.

Thank you for your thoughts on this! I greatly appreciate it and will investigate further. I'm not knowledgeable of the digital protocols (of the electrical signal) but thought I'd ask the forum.

Sincerely, Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.