PSX Recap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I took the plunge and recapped most of the power supply board of my PSX (SCPH-1001). The only one I didn't replace was a big 200V one right after the diode bridge, because Mouser didn't have a low-ESR version. All the other electrolytics were replaced with 105-degree low-ESR Nichicons, and the 4 shrimpy little diodes in the bridge right after the AC input were replaced with UF4007's.

I'm pretty sure that I hear an improvement in sound quality. Voices jump out of the speaker, making a much clearer image. Bass is extended and clear, and highs are a bit less grainy. I'm trying to rationalize the improvement that I hear with the physics of better caps before and after voltage regulators, hopefully it's not all the solder fumes :smoke:

I still haven't gone in there and replaced the horrible 10uF 16V SMD electrolytic coupling caps after the DAC, as Feuerbacher does on his website, http://dogbreath.de .

In short, I highly recommend to people who own the PSX to try recapping with good capacitors, and see if they also perceive an improvement :)

even though black gates are only 85 degrees C, it shouldn't matter because nothing in the PSX gets very hot... good luck, and tell us how it sounds :) p.s. i can post pictures of my very untidy job recapping, as the 2200uF 10V capacitor was too tall... I also bypassed that capacitor with a little .0047uF 400V Orange Drop, and I bypassed the un-replaced 150uF 200V cap with a .22uF 630V generic metal film.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.