Damping my Denon DCD-835 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2003, 10:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Damping my Denon DCD-835

A month ago I bought a new Denon DCD-835 for UK 160
I decided that despite not having a box or manual, that it was still one of the best on the market for that price. 4 years ago, it commanded 280 and last year 225. So it was decent and CDP's haven't changed that much in 6 years. It is 18 bit 8x and got a few good main reviews. It probably still equates to a 300 player today:http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm and http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1398

I knew that damping was something to consider. Circuit electron behaviour is affected by vibrations and lasers track happier when they are rigid. Anyway, yada yada yada American European attention span busy-busy-busy now-then now-then; it sounds better. Bought brownbread (identical to Dynamat) and covered inside of CDP lid and areas around the PCB's and transformer. I filled the squares of the central part of the transport with little squares of brownbread. I also covered the bottom outside of the player - since it cannot be seen anyway - and dynamat look-alikes are not without their charms. I could have done more - I just did the minimum. Everything was pretty solid anyway. Had to scrape a whole 2cm strip of brownbread off though cos had slightly undereastimated a) how incredibly sticky brownbread is and b) the supports on the chassis that meet with the case. Still, the fit is even more snug between case and chassis now i.e. I expect I am going to have to really prize it open if it goes wrong. Still, it's aluminium backed so the fact that it is incredibly sticky is a good thing.

It removed all glare and over-brightness and really brought in all of the mid and lower bass. I had CD's that sounded awful before but now sounded great. EVerything in my collection sounds great.

The transformation was amazing. CDP is still running in a bit but the dramatic change that came with damping was apparent to everyone.

This is interesting? What were there results - I think I can guess:

http://www.ee.washington.edu/consele...ab_CDhead.html

Wee wee be like me

Hide this!Advertise here!