16+ Computer/Audio Interface and Mixer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ya I know a long title.

Anyway I know this is my first post, but I want to get involved in a lot of audio projects. I have been searching around this website for weeks before actually having the courage to post. I have been trying my best to find information, but it does not all match exactly what I want.

My plan is to make a huge mixer that will be run on the computer. So the computer can control the channels with volume and other effects.

My plan is to have an ADC connected either through USB or Serial. Most of the ADCs I have taken a look at all connect to one USB or Serial, no looking at some simple ones I was hoping I could build many of them, and interface them into one either USB or serial device. I am not sure if this has been done before or posted. But I am trying to build this through a lot of reasearch I have already done. But due to my lack of knowledge in analog of digital interfaces. I am not sure how exactly I could use all those ADC circuits and put them together into one USB channel. Also I am not sure if drivers will need to be programmed or anything.

All I know is java.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is what I have been able to dig up.

I have been looking around I see most ADCs are build with the PCM2900 or 2902, I guess this would be the best thing. They all have one stereo channel so making 16 of these circuits and then combining them into a USB channel sound like a good idea.
Here is the datasheet
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm2902.pdf

There is a good website here, with a fairly simple circuit diagram.
http://hepso.dna.fi/misc/pcm2902/PCM2902_usb_dac.html

I could make 1 Channel pretty easy, but how would I be able to combine them all into one USB channel, that right now is the biggest issue.

And would this involve any drivers, and what kind of software would you all suggest for an audio interface, I would love to use this as a recording device and a PA system.

Any help would be great. THank you very much

At the moment I am working on an DIY Electronic Drumset and Mics.

Well 5min after I have posted on this thread, it seems it wont be visible for a bit, thats allright.

I looked around a bit more, and have found an extrememely simple PCB, made by a user named DIGI01 or something.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=454551&stamp=1092098260

This is the a picture of what he/she did.

And I have also found out, I will be using basic MME drivers I think or is it ASIO, I will do some more reasearch into that also.

Thanx again

I have found the perfect Shematic to modify, its simple and not big on the parts.

http://hepso.dna.fi/misc/pcm2902/PCM2902_usb_dac.html

But I am looking at how many PCM2902 I may need and it looks like I will need about $132 just for the chips, plus other parts.

I am only going to make two of these for now, then I will have to find a way to combine them into one USB channel.

Thanx for support guyz. I will do some reasearch into the USB format and how exactly I can combine this, if I can.

Looking at the driver situation, I see that with one pcm9202 the input channel will be detected, but I am not sure how it will look like with many.

I don't think USB can tranfer 16channels!

Do you just want to mix the 16 signals or do you need to record them as well.
If you only want to mix you could look into 16 electronic attentuators.
They can be contolled by USB or serial without (bandwidth) problems.

regards Simon

ps
maybe you should look into seccondhand multichannel cards.
ews88mt (8 mono in/8mono out but a system can hold 4 cards)
This card is not easy to control by software.
But there are many of these kind of cards.
If you find one with midi control your project gets easy!

That eDrum project is very interesting indeed. I have seen it years ago but I'd never have thought that it could be modded into an audio interface. Let's assume that we would want to that, then how would we go about doing this mod oh and what does MIDI have to do with it?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.