CD-ROM clock upgrade? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2003, 07:32 PM   #1
LennyK is offline LennyK  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default CD-ROM clock upgrade?

I know, this is very crazy (I think).
Is it posible at all to improve clock in compuer CD-ROM (used as transport with external DAC and PSU) with clock like this:
Low-noise oscillator
or something similar?

Is it a simple method to measure jitter? Maybe with computer music card?

regards

Lenny
Old 5th January 2003, 07:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: CD-ROM clock upgrade?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LennyK
[B]I know, this is very crazy (I think).
Is it posible at all to improve clock in compuer CD-ROM (used as transport with external DAC and PSU) with clock like this:
Low-noise oscillator
or something similar?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There in not much room; but you can route the SPDIF output outside the computer and have the signal relocked and routed to the sound card via 75R connection. The latter makes a big difference!
Old 5th January 2003, 09:08 AM   #3
LennyK is offline LennyK  Poland
diyAudio Member

You didn't undrerstand correctly. I don't want to upgrade cd-rom in my computer. I want to upgrade cd-rom as external cd player (cd-rom with separate DAC and PSU).

Measuring jitter (jitter of cd player) with comp sound card that's my second question. But, ok, lets forgot about it. Main problem is that cd-rom-player . Maybe you could post links about relockig audio data?

Lenny
Old 11th August 2003, 03:20 PM   #4
eddyhk is offline eddyhk  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default SONY CDROM clock upgrade & relock S/PDIF

I'm planning to upgrade the clock & reblock S/PDIF output for a SONY CDROM. It's chip set is MT1136AE & MT1198AE. The clock rate should be 33.8Mhz. The schematic is base on http://netcity6.web.hinet.net/UserDa...od/DSIX-1.htm. The oscillator will be replaced by Kwak clock to save money.

Since I didn't have experience to handle digital circuit, I want to get the connection diagram of MT1136AE & MT1198AE. Is there anybody can help me?
Attached Images
File Type: gif dsix-mod.gif (7.7 KB, 1266 views)
Old 11th August 2003, 09:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: CD-ROM clock upgrade?

Quote:
Originally posted by LennyK
I know, this is very crazy (I think).
Low-noise oscillator
or something similar?

Is it a simple method to measure jitter? Maybe with computer music card?

regards

Lenny

Hi

Measuring jitter is not easy (to me it is, but not everyone has an HP53310A in their lab)

We designed a DAC with a diagnostic (sound) output

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijlige...tml/dactop.htm

which may help,

regards
Old 12th August 2003, 03:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb CD-ROM clock upgrade

I know that using DAC is the best way to improve the sound source. I already installed a DAC kit with CS8412 & PCM1710. However I'm not quit satisfactory with the result. In compare with SONY DVP900V's internal DAC, it can't win . As a DIY guy, I need a better digital source to prove the power of DAC. So I want a clean source. From Internet, I get a kit to control a IDE CDROM (/w remote control). Since I can do anything to a CDROM, it will be my experiment to reclock the player. If okay, I'll reclock my DVD player.
Old 12th August 2003, 08:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: CD-ROM clock upgrade

As a DIY guy, I need a better digital source to prove the power of DAC. So I want a clean source. From Internet, I get a kit to control a IDE CDROM (/w remote control).
------------------------------------------------------------------

Where did you get the kit and how much is it?
Old 12th August 2003, 09:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default cdrom controller w/remote

I buy it from a Taiwan site. The price is TWD1380 & transport fee TWD820. Total is around USD64.-. It is a semi-completed kit. It had basic function : Play, eject, next, preious, programable play mode, remote controller and LED & LCD status display.

http://www.my3c.net/product/detail.a...=&Sort=&Price=

You can contact them via email service@my3c.net if you can't read chinese character. They can read english.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdromcontroller.jpg (22.7 KB, 1060 views)
Old 12th August 2003, 08:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: cdrom controller w/remote

Quote:
Originally posted by eddyhk
I buy it from a Taiwan site. The price is TWD1380 & transport fee TWD820. Total is around USD64.-. It is a semi-completed kit. It had basic function : Play, eject, next, preious, programable play mode, remote controller and LED & LCD status display.

http://www.my3c.net/product/detail.a...=&Sort=&Price=

You can contact them via email service@my3c.net if you can't read chinese character. They can read english.
Hi,
Thanks for the info.
I just got an external NEC SCSI CDROM drive I was going to play with, see how good it sounds. Do you think this kit would work with what I have? How does it interface to the CDROM?
Or, should I just email the company directly?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Randy
Old 12th August 2003, 08:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: CD-ROM clock upgrade

Quote:
Originally posted by eddyhk
I know that using DAC is the best way to improve the sound source. I already installed a DAC kit with CS8412 & PCM1710. However I'm not quit satisfactory with the result. In compare with SONY DVP900V's internal DAC, it can't win . As a DIY guy, I need a better digital source to prove the power of DAC. So I want a clean source. From Internet, I get a kit to control a IDE CDROM (/w remote control). Since I can do anything to a CDROM, it will be my experiment to reclock the player. If okay, I'll reclock my DVD player.

Hi

I did not want to push you in the direction of building our DAC, I refer to it as it has a way to measure drive jitter incorporated.

regards

Hide this!Advertise here!