Using 20 bit data with a pair of old 16 Bit DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why not just get a modern 24 bit pcm dac like the Ti PCM1794 or PCM1798 or the Analog Devices 24 bit AD1852 sigma delta dac?

The results are liable to be way better with any one of these than with two ancient 16 bit dacs used with a 20 bit word.

The point about calibrating the two is also valid, and I think this will cause a huge linearity issue..

The two chips are unlikely to have identical drift so it is unlikely that the two will hold their calibration over time and temperature either. Such things are regularly done in dc ATE applications, but are subject to frequent calibration and checking. AC I think would open a whole new can of worms.

Edit: fix typo

rfbrw said:
Digital filters often perform straight truncation. There is no way the the sonic effects of a 2 bit truncation are as bad as a 4 or 8 bit truncation.
Yes of course , that is true if I can use a 24 bit dac and start truncating bits to hear the effects .
The problem is that 18, 20 or 24 ( or more ) bits into a 16 bit dac simply doesn work properly .

kevinkr said:
Why not just get a modern 24 bit pcm dac like the Ti PCM1794 or PCM1798 or the Analog Devices 24 bit AD1852 sigma delta dac?

Edit: fix typo
Yes Ok thats right . But I am getting rid of the AK 4365 (20 bit sigma/ delta) for a multibit DAC for personal taste reasons . I should try to find an old 20bit AD1862 , but I think it comes down to space matters inside the little DVD player .

EDIT :

.... more over ( and correcting myself ) the dvd player outputs I2S in Philips format , while both PCM and AD think want Sony format . SO ...

rfbrw said:
Digital filters often perform straight truncation. There is no way the the sonic effects of a 2 bit truncation are as bad as a 4 or 8 bit truncation.

such filters should be prosecuted by the law.. and yes, 2, 4 or 8 bits of truncation - no difference, it only depends on the level at which the truncation happens, not on the number of bits you're loosing..

rfbrw said:
In this context level is irrelevant, it is a straight hardware truncation and 8 bits will be worse than 2.
the amplitudes of harmonics due to truncation are the same when going from 24b to 16b and from 20b to 16b..
in terms of amount of information lost, 8b is of course more than 2b, the distortion products resulting from truncation are nevertheless equivalent.. prove me wrong, I'd like to know where I'm wrong in my reasoning.. :confused:

truncation.png

the white spectrum is 24b truncated to 16b, the red one is the same 24b source dithered to 20b and then truncated to 16b.. to me this doesn't look all that different and it's 4b vs. 8b truncation..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.