avondale audio modded arcam alpha 5 - AAA5 - anyone tried it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is there anyone with experience with this CDP?

the mods cost 375 quid plus a donnor player.

i am wondering how does it sound and what cathegory it really belongs. it looks slightly cheaper than rega apollo or similar, so i am wondering if it is a good way to go.

i know AA5 used to be popular for mods, but it seems that les avondale went further with anyone else

hi if i was you buy a good second hand cd player for that money, i used to modify arcam 5 cd players they sound nice when done up. but i bought a arcam diva 92 the other day for £250 they go for abot 300 you may even pic up a fmj 23 for your money, in hdcd the sound is very damn good, cd is really good also, i was taken back how good arcam have come a long, i have a thread to ask if any one knows any good tweaks for this player i have no reply, cos the sound is so musical any way, your chioce mate if it were me save cash buy a new player

With a little knowledge you can get to within a a few % of the AAA5..

I currently have a modded AA5 in my system [that I did myself] and a freind bought along his AAA5 there were aspects of my player that my mate preffered ..but thats really down to opamp choices..

you should be able to pick up a used AA5 for arround £150 and for my mods costs about another £150 for the parts....

this includes a new granite and closed cell foam isolation base...the extra mass and the isolation helps the fine details.

The AA5's are sensitive to mains cable type so don't forget to include that in your costings.

I've not compared the AA5 [modded] to the newer units ..but did have an fmj 23 [?]cdp through my system which left me cold.

The modded AA5's will see off many £1200 cdps....but that of course is only my opinion ..you need to get to hear one if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
the arcam alpha 5 is good i agree. but i would much rather have a fmj 23 any day the arcam alpha 5 is limited in sound stage, my advice would be buy a audio synthesis dax second hand for that money, and use your current player as a transport till you can afford a quality transport i have owned cd players over £4000 and they leave the modified arcam for dead i have just back into hifi after a years break i sold every thing last year i love the arcam cd 92 for now if i come a cross a arcam 5 i will mod it and compare it to the 92 as it may be more musical also it may not i will have to see i have a tda1541 s1 crown chip for the arcam alpha 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.