ROTEL RCD-865BX CD player mods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I picked up a Rotel RCD-865BX a while ago for around $35 at a pawn shop. It seems like a "good" CD player and I was thinking about investing some time into it.

I do not have the remote control which is killing me and I was wondering how I could get my hands on one or even clone one?

If you folks think it is worth the effort I was thinking about changing the OpAmps and/or the clock crystal or anything else that can easily be tweaked. I'm open to all suggestions.

HERE is a link to 3 fat jpegs under the hood. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Attachments

• rcd-865bx.jpg
    rcd-865bx.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 824
That looks like an RCD965BX........but they are virtually the same anyway. Do some searching for both models as well as "Bitstream" and SAA7321/2/3 and you should find some usefull info.

A remote for almost any Philips or Marantz CD player should operate the Rotel.

You can replace NE5534 with OPA627....but you need to remove the compensation cap.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Shawn,
Before you start, make sure it's tracking properly. Your 5534's sound decent already.

If it has muting transistors, pull them and adapt a signal relay instead. That will make more of a difference than op amp swaps. Look for 2SC2878's near the output jacks and in the output filter section.

-Chris

Fin said:
That looks like an RCD965BX........but they are virtually the same anyway.

It may be, I grabbed that jpeg from eBay. Checking...

anatech said:
Hi Shawn,
Before you start, make sure it's tracking properly. Your 5534's sound decent already.

If it has muting transistors, pull them and adapt a signal relay instead. That will make more of a difference than op amp swaps. Look for 2SC2878's near the output jacks and in the output filter section.

-Chris

Cool. Checking... I got to put together a little preamp action first then I'll look at the Rotel a little later tonight.

Thanks, I thought no one cared 'bout this one? :xeye:

Shawn.

Compensation Cap...

Fin said:
That looks like an RCD965BX........but they are virtually the same anyway. Do some searching for both models as well as "Bitstream" and SAA7321/2/3 and you should find some usefull info.

A remote for almost any Philips or Marantz CD player should operate the Rotel.

You can replace NE5534 with OPA627....but you need to remove the compensation cap.

Remove the compensation cap? Which one or what typical value is it and what value should it be replaced with? Thank you for the scoop on the remote and I will search the threads a little harder.

Does any one have a schematic for this old beast?

Cheers,

Shawn.

The good folks @ Rotel

anatech said:
Hi Shawn,
Now that would be very handy to help with an assessment. I'll look around too, I don't have it.

-Chris
Edit: I requested it on share-fx. I hope someone is kind enough to respond for you. Someone is looking for Yamaha M-70 if anyone has it.

Rotel sent me the service manual in PDF format today! It came in three pieces and there seems to be a problem with the third chunk. I sent an email back to them and I should have all of it in a day or so. For now here are the first two portions:

RCD-865BX PART 1 of 3

RCD-865BX PART 2 of 3

Cheers,

Shawn.

anatech said:
Hi Shawn,
Thanks, those are coming down now. The one I finally got off share-fx was not great quality - but much better than nothing!!

-Chris

Cool. There is some kind of test CD required to adjust the Laser. I have no idea what it is or where to get one if indeed required. Any leads out there?

Sony Type 4 (YEDS 18) is how it's described.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Shawn,
One part you need to get for sure is #52, 300 40005, pivot plate on the exploded mech diagram in PDF #3 (4/4). It's made of soft nylon and they are always worn. Pick up a spare (they are cheap).

Also, pick up the loading belt in the same diagram, #2, 017 40002.

That should do you.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Shawn,
One part you need to get for sure is #52, 300 40005, pivot plate on the exploded mech diagram in PDF #3 (4/4). It's made of soft nylon and they are always worn. Pick up a spare (they are cheap).

Also, pick up the loading belt in the same diagram, #2, 017 40002.

That should do you.

-Chris

I sent an email to rotel. ;)

Cheers,

Shawn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.