What if there was a one-box solution?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What if there was a one-box solution?

I'm just curious.

What if there was a one-box audiophile 2ch audio solution, I mean a single 3U box that contains a full wirelessly networked P4 media system with a 200G drive, a 24/196 DAC (user selectable playback @ 44/48/96/128/196) and a pair of UCD400's powered by a 1KVA toroid and a Hypex Supply HG.

Moreover, what if this device had no proprietary software? I mean that it's just a hardware platform, mount what OS you like, install whatever rendering software you want. You can log into into it via RDS on any XP network, or whatever utilities your chosen OS supports. You like Foobar, mount it. You are a Winamp fan? Install it. Windoze Media Slayer (my favorite) fan? Go ahead. Whatever you want. Instant multizone, networked music system.

What scares me is that this product requires the user to be smart enough to handle wireless networks and media player installation and management.

What I believe is that the general user these days is smart as hell, and that what I ask is what they do for themselves every day. Grandmas email and the home office - people do this every day..

But unlike Sonos it's a platform, not a proprietary consumer product.

Do any of you see any market in that?

Would anybody be interested?

If you were interested, would it be for a DIY kit or a finished device?

Regards,
Tom

Fair enough, I guess I built it only for me...

Okay. Fair enough, I guess built it for me...

I wanted such a device and couldn't find one, so I built it. Driven by the Onkyo 24/192 DAC it works like a charm and drives my "child-without-two-parents" (b*stard) 2641 clones like a champ. A blastoff device. I have three of them in my house, all controlled over the network or by Viewsonic wireless monitors. My kids love it... Nice for parties too.

One box, all my tunes, UCD amped, remote controlled. Made me happy.

I thought it might be interesting, but it's clearly a boring thought. Bummer, but I have very strange taste in audio gear... :)

Cool enough,
Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.