Clicking noises... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2006, 02:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Clicking noises...

I run digital direct and digitize any analog signal and run it mercilessly through some behringer stuff. (SRC/DEQ/DCX 2496)
So far so good - to my ears at least.

I acquired a new sample rate converter, because I had to troubleshoot some problems.
What happens - at 24/96 upsampling on some cd's i get some nasty clicking sounds.
So, lets try an external wordclock - got one from hosa, works 44.1, 48kHz and double the base rates.
To my astonishment, with the external wordclock at 96 kHz, even digital signal from satellite receiver starts clicking - never done that before -, and cd's are even worse than before.
Back to 88.2 - no problem.

Also there is no problem whith external or internal clocksignal when switching to analogue input at the src.

Asked the behringer guys, and they mumbled something about 96kHz too high resolution, so switch back a notch.
I am not quite satisfied with that answer - does anybody have an explanation?
Old 23rd December 2006, 09:19 AM   #2
cviller is offline cviller  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What are you using the external clock for? The sample rate converter?

I think you need to come up with some schematics/pictures of your setup.

How can you have an analog input on a src (sample rate converter)?
Old 23rd December 2006, 03:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

SOURCES - SRC - DEQ - DCX - Volume control - AMPS

The behringer SRC works both as a sample rate converter and a dac/adc. It has an internal clock, which works fine except on some cd's - it doesn't.
That is why I tried an external clock to see if something changes - on 24/96 upsampling only I have the problem, not on 24/88.2
omebody in another forum mentioned that on bad sectors on a cd the higher sampling rate could interfere with the error correction? Dn't know if that is possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!