digital out from dvd - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2002, 05:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default digital out from dvd

Can anyone help? I've got a cheap chinese DVD (Hitachi Fujian), which has optical and coax digital outs. I would like to build DAC which would give me at least 2 channels. Any link will help as well as practical solution to my problem. Why building when it's equipped with analog out too - because I hear a buzz (maybe switching PSU), maybe grounds, but it sucks. Cheers. Jack
Old 30th December 2002, 06:13 PM   #2
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

You can use any DIY DAC project mentioned at this site provided

a) your DVD-Player is setup to output PCM rather than some encoded multi-channel format like AC3 (see setup menu)

b) your DVD-Player is capable of downsampling to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz, OR your DAC has a 96 kHz compatible receiver chip

Since your unit probably won't play DVD-Audio (don't mix it up with audio tracks on a DVD-Video), you don't have to bother with downsampling from 192 kHz.

Getting more than 2 channels out of the digital output is very very difficult, you would need an external AC3/MPEG decoder which comes in some SMD package virtually impossible to solder by hand.

Anyway, I wouldn't accept even a cheap player to produce audible hum, maybe you have a ground loop or some faulty connections.

Another approach to get a DIY multichannel DAC would be to skip S/PDIF and take the IIS signals from the internal DACS directly. Or you could tweak the power supply / output stage of your player.

Hope this helps.
Old 31st December 2002, 11:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AMT-freak

Anyway, I wouldn't accept even a cheap player to produce audible hum, maybe you have a ground loop or some faulty connections.
I agree. A week ago I bought a Digitrex / Hiteker GK-1020. These things are AUD$99. That's USD$55.84, or 53.38 Euro's. That's half the price of anything else here, and it's quiet as a mouse. I got it only for playing CD's because of it's nice 24 bit A/D.
Old 1st January 2003, 04:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Mark Hathaway
Default where did u find the hiteker at 99 AUD?

Howdy Circlotron,

I didn't realise the 100 dollar barrier had been broken in Melbourne yet.

Who's selling them for 99 AUD?

at 99 bucks they are a bargin for the bedroom or garage as cd players.

Mark
Old 1st January 2003, 09:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Big W. Big W.

Hide this!Advertise here!