Proceed PCD2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a Proceed PCD2 in mint condition. After I checked it plays well I could not resist taking the cover off. I love the built quality.
Now I am puzzled as I see two digital filters: SAA7220 and NPC5813 and also a digital input receiver chip YM3623. What is that one doing in an integrated CD-player?
The clock seems to be very cheap standard affair with the SAA7220.
Dispite that the sound is rather nice but bass is weak.
There are two DAC PCM58 and apparently AD845JN as IV-converter plus another one and LT1010 buffers.
Anyone can help me with this puzzle?
:confused:

Schematics for Proceed pcd2

I have one of these units myself and am looking for a schematic to assist in modifying it.

Is this schematic something you might be willing and able to forward to me?

I have received absolutly no response from Harmon international.

Thanks regardless,
Gary

Hello Quirck,
Thank you so much for the offer. I used to be service manager at a Levinson/Proceed dealer but since Harmon took over they will only work with their two service centers. :( I dove into the unit last night and confirmed my suspicions that the primary on the toroid power transformer is shorted. Sad! I also found a shorted bridge rectifier bypass capacitor. I bet someone replaced the rear panel fuse with a larger value and the shorted capacitor took out the transformer. :bawling: I'm going to sniff around for the Holden & Fisher D1263A transformer. I may need the schematic for the voltages of the transformer windings.

Thanks again,

QSerraTico_Tico said:
I got a Proceed PCD2 in mint condition. After I checked it plays well I could not resist taking the cover off. I love the built quality.
Now I am puzzled as I see two digital filters: SAA7220 and NPC5813 and also a digital input receiver chip YM3623. What is that one doing in an integrated CD-player?
The clock seems to be very cheap standard affair with the SAA7220.
Dispite that the sound is rather nice but bass is weak.
There are two DAC PCM58 and apparently AD845JN as IV-converter plus another one and LT1010 buffers.
Anyone can help me with this puzzle?
:confused:
Exactly this model comes to me for service for some months. Proceed don't release schematics, therefore I have created this one in "circuitmaker". because I have some macros of cd specific ICs, it was not extrem complicated.
For me it was surprising that in an integrated CD player was built in a completely independent DA converter - that's the reason for this "puzzle". Very effective to fundamental enhance the sonic quality is a precision oscillator (jitter reduction), boosting S/PDIF out as well as MOSFET I/U converter of the Nelson Pass "D1"

I have found schematics, unfortunately not original. Only my own drawing (and some mistakes - so I think).
You need additional the Philips Service Manual from the transport mechanism CDM1-MKII (I don't have as PDF)

Attachments

• C ...-CD PCD-2 Servoproz.ckt.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 431
  • C ...-CD PCD-2 SAA7210.ckt.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 295
  • C ...-CD PCD-2 SAA7220.ckt.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 333

Attachments

• Madrigal Proceed PCD2 front panel.jpg
    Madrigal Proceed PCD2 front panel.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 454
  • Madrigal Proceed PCD2 rear panel.jpg
    Madrigal Proceed PCD2 rear panel.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 528
  • Madrigal Proceed PCD2 mains aera.jpg
    Madrigal Proceed PCD2 mains aera.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 435
  • Madrigal Proceed PCD2 decoder PCB.jpg
    Madrigal Proceed PCD2 decoder PCB.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 421
  • U3090MG for Madrigal Proceed PCD-2 PCD2.jpg
    U3090MG for Madrigal Proceed PCD-2 PCD2.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 553
Hi,
it is same as TMS3763, You find it very frequently in philips cd player(cd582/4/6 or cd650 or cd620 or cd 820 and many other).
I spent a lot of time for repair this cd player, display was dark because of u3090(tms3763) mab8461 mab8661.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.