Which oil for CDM4 mechs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.

There have been a few references in the past to re-oiling the CDM4/19 (etc) mechs but nothing concrete. Someone mentioned clock oil a while back but what actually IS this? What viscocity etc?

I have a CDM4/22 in a Naim CDI which is working/tracking fine but the motor is slightly noisey now so I need to re-oil it. Can anyone recommend a suitable oil for this - something I might be able to buy easily at Halfords or similar here in the UK? Would good old 3-in-1 be OK or is this too thick for the motor?

Many thanks.

- John

john - I've used Mobil1 on CD motors (inc. the CDM9 in my Naim CD2) with no problem.

It only takes the merest drop, applied with a needle or similar - the stuff is thin and will creep anywhere, usually unwanted! I havent looked at teh thrust pad, but a light grease would make sense eg silicone-based - oil based ones are likely to attack the plastic.

Are you sure that it's the motor causing the noise? It's more likely to be the disc clamp.

According the service manuals I have, the only things that should be lubricated in a Philips CDM are the two ball bearings that the swing arm pivots on. The recommended lubricant for that is "silicon oil 1000cts".

Best,
Paul

As the CDM has been in use for about 15 years now I just assumed the motor bearing thrust pad might need lubricating now? Perhaps the transport is a little noisey compared to modern units. It's working fine at any rate.

I may just lubricate the ball bearing on the swing arm and leave it at that next time I have the machine apart for whatever reason.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - much appreciated :)

- John

Are you sure that it's the motor causing the noise? It's more likely to be the disc clamp.

Agreed. Clean the clamp and the ball and relube, you could use something as daft as a wee bit of petrolium jelly. If there is a little indentation in the pressure plate, sand it a little with very fine sand paper until the dent is no more.

If this has never been done on a wel used CDM4/19 I can almost guarantee a better sound afterwards too....

While you are there fill the clamp honeycomb with blue tack or similar.

The mech used in my Naim CDI is - I believe - the CDM 4/22. It uses a lightweight magnetic clamp to hold the discs, not the usual disc tray type ala Phillips. It's a top loading machine.

The only two points which I believe may need attention are the laser swing arm pivot, and the motor bearing thrust pad. Reckon after 15 years of use I should give both a check and - if required - a lube.

Cheers,

- John

thanks tubenut!

Agreed. Clean the clamp and the ball and relube, you could use something as daft as a wee bit of petrolium jelly. If there is a little indentation in the pressure plate, sand it a little with very fine sand paper until the dent is no more.

If this has never been done on a wel used CDM4/19 I can almost guarantee a better sound afterwards too....

While you are there fill the clamp honeycomb with blue tack or similar.

just to let anyone reading know, i found this thread and followed these instructions... the little plastic insert had a deep indent, so i polished it flat, and moved the insert a little so the point's in a different place (and taped it there). bit of vasline. bit of blutac..

now my new (to me) 24 yearold Rotel RCD-855 (cdm4/19) is reading CDs like a champ again, scratched ones, dodgiliy burnt ones, all good, long may it continue :D Thanks so much for this info..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.