OPA637AP in Rotel RCD-02

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Has anyone tried replacing the Op-Amps in the Rotel RCD-02 with OPA637AP? I tried using 4 of them on browndog adaptors on my RCD-02 and I get quite a bit of static noise on the output. Are they oscillating or something?

I also tried the new National Semiconductor LM4562 and they worked fine, without the noise. The OPA637APs worked well on my DIY headphone amp so they are working fine.

Did a search here and on Google and cannot find anything specific to OPA637 and RCD-02, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Regards
CK

ckng said:
Hi,

Has anyone tried replacing the Op-Amps in the Rotel RCD-02 with OPA637AP? I tried using 4 of them on browndog adaptors on my RCD-02 and I get quite a bit of static noise on the output. Are they oscillating or something?

I also tried the new National Semiconductor LM4562 and they worked fine, without the noise. The OPA637APs worked well on my DIY headphone amp so they are working fine.

Did a search here and on Google and cannot find anything specific to OPA637 and RCD-02, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Regards
CK

OPA637AP are not unity gain stable and must operate in conditions where the gain is greater than 5.

It is likely that they are oscillating.

Use the LM4562s. They are by far superior to either the OPA627 or OPA637.

Andy

Op amp rolling in a headphone amp the other day discoverd that the OPA604 I was using has 2 offset adjust pins, in the design i plugged em in to one of these normally not connected pins ended up strapped to -Vs... Funny stuff happened. Can not remenmer but does 627/637 not have the same offset adjustment?

JM2C

G

Banned - Sockpuppet
Joined 2006
Re: Re: OPA637AP in Rotel RCD-02

poynton said:

OPA637AP are not unity gain stable and must operate in conditions where the gain is greater than 5.

It is likely that they are oscillating.

Use the LM4562s. They are by far superior to either the OPA627 or OPA637.

I recently Brown Dog'd a pair of 637s, replacing the stock 4558s in my Toshiba SD-3990. Not getting static noise" ckng noted and, overall, the sound quality has improved. But I did lose some "focus" and imaging. See this headwize thread for more info:

http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=1197&fpage=2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.