Newbie - how to start modding my transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Gang,

This is a VERY, Very newbie question. I'd like to start modding my Sony XA-20es transport, with maybe new caps, transformer, etc.. and/or other things. The search I performed turned up much info, but a bit unfocused for my first steps.

I can solder, but need a little help with reading schematics. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to start down this path? My goal: to make the transport sound better via diy mods, in the most cost effective manner possible. I know this may be a slippery slope, with lots of philiosophy and arguments. I just want to crack this thing open again, and try to make it sound better on my own.

Thanks for everything...

Jake

I would probably start with a high quality clock eg tent labs and some damping/vibration isolation on the chassis.I have not seen many mods here of the actual cd transport circuitry probably because A) it is too complicated even for some good diyers e.g smd components etc and or B)it will not bring substantial benefit compared to other pursuits such as optimising the dac.

Yeah,

thats sounds excellent! That is the sort of easy thing I'm talking about. Now I need to find out how to locate a rectifier diode, then find out where to buy them, then I can begin getting messy. Also, how can I locate all the internal workings that are not part of the transport side of things, so I can start disconnecting them? I've heard that is a good thing to do. Geez, this all sounds SOOO newbie, I feel like a 3rd grader, thanks for all your patience.

jake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.