Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2006, 06:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jsmccray
Question Newbie - how to start modding my transport?

Hey Gang,

This is a VERY, Very newbie question. I'd like to start modding my Sony XA-20es transport, with maybe new caps, transformer, etc.. and/or other things. The search I performed turned up much info, but a bit unfocused for my first steps.

I can solder, but need a little help with reading schematics. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to start down this path? My goal: to make the transport sound better via diy mods, in the most cost effective manner possible. I know this may be a slippery slope, with lots of philiosophy and arguments. I just want to crack this thing open again, and try to make it sound better on my own.

Thanks for everything...

Jake
Old 28th November 2006, 01:34 PM   #2
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I would probably start with a high quality clock eg tent labs and some damping/vibration isolation on the chassis.I have not seen many mods here of the actual cd transport circuitry probably because A) it is too complicated even for some good diyers e.g smd components etc and or B)it will not bring substantial benefit compared to other pursuits such as optimising the dac.
Old 29th November 2006, 08:04 AM   #3
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

go read my article on Zerogain.com

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9058

obviously you only need to concentrate on the transport side....

don't get too far ahead of yourself !

start small ...say swapping the rectifier diodes
Old 29th November 2006, 12:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jsmccray
Yeah,

thats sounds excellent! That is the sort of easy thing I'm talking about. Now I need to find out how to locate a rectifier diode, then find out where to buy them, then I can begin getting messy. Also, how can I locate all the internal workings that are not part of the transport side of things, so I can start disconnecting them? I've heard that is a good thing to do. Geez, this all sounds SOOO newbie, I feel like a 3rd grader, thanks for all your patience.

jake
Old 29th November 2006, 12:46 PM   #5
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The rectifier diodes ..are small cylinerical device that are often black with a silver band that denotes polarity ...

sony often fit green ones....

they may be in groups of four forming a diode bridge and will be fairly close to the mains transformer.

Hide this!Advertise here!