ultimate source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think your right, it might be some DC to DC converter. I have yet to get it displaying anything teadable on the OLED with either of the two firmware sources I've built. I think there is a firmware issue. Either it's being compiled incorrectly or something is missing. I still haven't received the micro SD card, I was wondering if it might display the proper characters with the micro SD card inserted or show it's working.

I got readable on my LCD after i change my VCC for LCD from 3.3V with 5V. But i got disk err with SD. I'll try with SDHC.

Didiet

Did the data sheet of the LCD say 3.3V is supported? Did you get garbled characters on your LCD like I did on my OLED or was it just blank? I'll try connecting it to 5V instead and seeing if it'll display the correct characters. The data sheet said it would operate at that voltage so I assumed something else might have been wrong. Which firmware file that I sent you worked for you?

Did the data sheet of the LCD say 3.3V is supported? Did you get garbled characters on your LCD like I did on my OLED or was it just blank? I'll try connecting it to 5V instead and seeing if it'll display the correct characters. The data sheet said it would operate at that voltage so I assumed something else might have been wrong. Which firmware file that I sent you worked for you?

On datasheet, it says 2.7 - 5v. It display some character if you look on right angle, but it hard to read. I just try the KDA_US02_20091206a. Maybe some lost conections on LCD data port.

Didiet

I got a 3.3V LCD and I'm getting proper characters. The OLED must use a nonstandard controller. Like you, I also get a disk error. I'm using a Samsung micro SDHC. I'm almost certain there is no difference between a regular and micro SD card other than the size and pinouts. The next step is to try a different SD card. I removed the SD card and it seems like there is no difference in "loading" time, so I don't really know if it's a crappy card or what. It reads in my PC. Here is a picture of the card in the socket:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Loading:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Disk Error, with backlight:

I've finally figured out why I've never been able to get this player to read the files on my SD card. The DI and DO lines were incorrectly connected to the microcontroller. When I connected DI to SDHO and DO to SDHI, it did the trick! I can change directories, tracks within directories, play, pause, and stop. So that all means that the SD card, power, buttons, LCD, and clock are all connected properly to the microcontroller. The next task is to connect the I2S output to the DIT4096 S/PDIF transmitter and see if this thing creates an I2S output. didiet78, that's good to know. You said the output is very noisy, what do you mean?

This is the player playing "Don't Let It Bring You Down" from Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" album.

This is the player playing "MK3 Audio Tour" from the "MK3 & MK4 Arcade Videogame Soundtrack".

Good to hear it. What i mean noise, i hear music, but with noise like radio noise when get low signal. I assume source of noise from my clock, home made single supply kwakclock, i will change it with dual jfet clock like from AMC. Last week i check clock with rf spectrum analyser, kwakclock have modulation and amc -clock just CW. Maybe i'll try again this week to find out if noise are gone.

Didiet

Didiet

Didiet, did you use a TXCO like Koon did? I also remember that Koon said file fragmentation on the SD card will cause additional noise. I have not been able to find an 11.2869MHz oscillator that is through hole except for one on ebay, as it doesn't seem to be a common frequency. I've seen clock oscillators on here built with multiple crystals and such. Have you isolated the source of the noise to your clock source?

Also, can you verify that the digital audio is actually I2S and not 16 bit left or right justified? If this player is reading the samples in the wav file and the samples are 16 bits in length, how can I get this to work with S/PDIF transmitters that accept I2S with a 24 bit sample length?

No, i use standart crystal with kwakclock as modular - i check with spectrum analyser, it have modulation. Then i change with crystal + amc clock schematic - with spectrum analyser it got clean pure carrier like my 50MHz TXCO. I'm sure it is I2S becauser my DAC only accept I2S. I think you can connect 16bit to 24 bis transmiter. S/PDIF will add zero 8 bit. CMIIW

Didiet

I must say, very nice work indeed! My clock is a 5V metal can package oscillator I got from ebay, and I'm sure it's quite noisy. I will eventually change it once I get this working properly. I found out I did not wire some grounds and did not connect LR clock to the buffer. I initially wired the DIT4096 audio transmitter for I2S with a word size of 24 bits and a 384*44100 clock mode because of this post.

This guy measured a master clock of around 11.2896MHz from this HD Radio processor (HD Radio is digital broadcast radio in the US) and a LR clock of 44.1kHz. According to the DIT4096 datasheet, you'd only choose a clock mode of 256*44100, which makes you think the datasheet is wrong. I also know for a fact that the DIT4096 circuit he used has the DIT4096 configured for 24 bit I2S. I configure the my DIT4096 the same way, and I got silence. I then changed it to 16 bit right justified format and still silence. I'm positive all wiring errors are fixed, and I know that the DIT4096 is outputting some signal because my receiver detects it. I don't know if I still some something screwed up or the 16 bit word size just won't work with the DIT4096's 24 bit I2S mode.

Looking at the DCI programming manual and source code for this player, the DCI module can be configured for I2S or left justified format. Left justified sends the MSB of the sample at the rising or falling edge of the LRCLK, and I2S has one SCLK delay after the rising and falling edge before the MSB of the sample. If the DJST bit in the DCICON1 register is set to 0, the format is I2S, if it's set to 1, the format is left justified.

From many searches on this forum, the DIT4096 isn't used much by members on here, and there isn't a lot of knowledge of the internet about what will work and not work. The DIT4192 which has the ability for 192kHz sampling rate has been used in 80's CD player S/PDIF mods and has the same pinout and hardware mode configuration. All schematics I've seen searching on this forum for these mods are configured for 16 bit right justified. I've seen a minidisc DIT4096 mod that also is configured for 16 bit right justified. The question is, will the DIT4096 or DIT4192 work if configured for 24 bit I2S with this player that outputs 16 bit samples?

Logic tells me no. In software mode, you can specify the sample size in a register of the DIT4096 which 16 bit samples are supported, irrelevant of format. In hardware mode, only 24 bit samples are supported, and the sample size is specified. I'm thinking because 24 bit is specified, no other sample sizes will work unless used in software mode. The thing is, it's NOT specified that 16 bit samples won't work in hardware mode configured for 24 bit I2S, and no one seems to know for sure whether it will or not. I know I got silence when I tested it, but I just want to be sure.

SUCCESS!!! I finally got audio output! It turns out that I should have stuck to my guns (and the datasheet). The DIT4096 had to be configured for 256*fs (as the datasheet said for a master clock of 11.2896MHz and not 384*fs as seen here). I still don't understand what is actually going on, because 16 bit samples are being fed into the DIT4096 and the datasheet specifies 24 bit I2S. Is it transmitting 24 bit samples on the S/PDIF output and adding 8 more zero's to the sample or is it actually transmitting 16 bit samples? This concerns me because I want to use a 16 bit DAC.

I'm extremely proud that I got everything working the way I planned, especially the DIT4096. As for the sound, it sounds really good. It plays really good, and the software is extremely well done. I've noticed that it won't list directories with dots in the directory name though. I'm using a Pletronics P1100-HC 11.2896MHz DIP14 compatible crystal oscillator for now and don't notice any noise.

For those interested, I connected the DIT4096 according to the schematic here, except for a few modifications:
The FMT0 and FMT1 pins are configured for 24 bit I2S according to the datasheet.
The CLK0 and CLK1 pins are configured for 256*fs according to the datasheet.
VDD is connected to 5V and VIO is connected to 3.3V. TI recommends VDD always be connected to 5V. The serial audio input pins are fed with 3.3V levels from the reclock section of Koon's circuit. The hardware mode configuration pins, like the clock and format pins, must be connected to the same source feeding VIO if a high is required, as seen in the datasheet. If they are connected to the 5V source the DIT4096 will be damaged. I remember reading that on a forum somewhere. Borrowing the schematic from the kind fellow who did the DIT4096 minidisc mod, using the changes I mentioned should give you the same working results as I had if you wanted to use the DIT4096 with Koon's awesome player. Schematic here:
spdif-transmitter.gif

It's configured for consumer mode with no copy bit. I currently have it connected to a TOTX173A Toslink transmitter, and will be adding a coax driver as well.

With all of the stories I read about disc assemblies going bad on CD players, Koon's design really is ideal. Best of all, the circuit and the code are so simplistic.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.