ultimate source - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 04:11 PM   #131
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

All the info you can get is here :

dsPIC33 and SD Card WAV to I2S, SPDIF Player "Ultimate Source" V2

No PCB, Gerber, BoM, ..., etc. available. So you have to generate your own.
Alternatively, this is as close to you can get :

QA-550--SD Card WAV Digital Audio Player

Disclaimer : I have no links with QLS.
Just a happy customer for a quick interim solution while building our own.

Patrick
Old 30th May 2012, 07:30 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Thank you Patrick. I suppose I can build everything on a proto board with SMT adapters for the chips, and then I'd have to design an S/PDIF transmitter, and hope the firmware and building everything actually works! Ideally, an SD card player seems like the best transport nowadays. With parts becoming hard to find for broken CD transports, this solution only makes sense.

Looking at the schematic, it looks pretty simple, and not too difficult to accomplish. The issue is that as well as the dsPIC33, some other parts I won't be able to get through hole, and I'll need to get a programmer or build one myself. For the S/PDIF transmitter, I was thinking of using the DIT4096.

Last edited by emuman100; 30th May 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:05 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

I found a microSD breakout board with an activity LED, which I think it would be neat to have such an LED. Attached is a picture and a schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adafruit-microsd-card-breakout-board-B.jpg (29.7 KB, 442 views)
File Type: png usdbreakout.png (15.5 KB, 439 views)
Old 28th June 2012, 06:16 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

I received the breakout boards for all of the chips and soldered them on. Even after all these years I can still do it. None of them are aligned perfectly, but there are no bridges and no damage.
Click the image to open in full size.
The chips are the dsPIC33 on the red board, a DIT4096 on the green board, and a 74VHC125 on the dark one.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:04 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Halo Koon,
any info about config-bit for dsPic33?

Didiet
Old 4th July 2012, 07:34 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

I've started assembling the main board.
The pin header where the button is, is the programming header. I connected all power and ground to each other and PICkit software detected it. The two DIP 14 sockets are for the oscillator and the 74VHC125 and the DIP 16 socket is for the 74HC173. The DIP 28 socket is for the DIT4096, and I'm using a TOTX173 toslink transmitter. I can't get the software to build in MPLAB though.
Old 5th July 2012, 09:18 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Here is the perf board almost completed:
On the bottom left is the LCD header (I'm using instead a blue OLED), on the top right is the SD card header (I'm using a micro SD card instead). Only things that are not finished are the bypass capacitors of the 5V regulator, the wiring of the DIT4096, and the coax S/PDIF driving circuit. Also, the dsPIC33 has to be programmed. Has anyone been able to build the source?
Old 6th July 2012, 09:34 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

I've made some progress. To build the firmware, use the version here. I programmed the dsPIC33, fixed an open between the reclocking section and main ground, and got this:
I'm not exactly sure the OLED display is jumpered properly for the right format, or something else is screwed up. I'm waiting for the micro SD card to arrive to see if I can get something to look like it's playing.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:53 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

CMIIW, VCC OLED too noisy, you need atleast RC filter for OLDE VCC. For firmware i compile using MPLAB Ide 7.60 and burnit with pickit-2 clone. This is my build

But no display not even black bar on LCD, even i turn the contrast trimpot. emuman100, can you send me your firmware?

Didiet
Old 10th July 2012, 06:56 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

I built it with MPLAB IDE 8.x and the microchip C30 compiler. The OLED module I have has an inductor on it, so I assumed the filtering is adequate. I'll PM you the file.

Hide this!Advertise here!