Q about spdif format for multichannel audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How exactly does multichannel audio get transmitted in spdif format ? I am asking about the actual data structure/format of the stream.
I hear about IEC61937 (compressed) and IEC60958 (pcm) but have to yet to get a clear picture how the "high resolution" dolby and dts audio makes it over to the receiver.
Any tech/app notes anywhere that might help explain ?

Oh well. I will keep searching, but in the meantime could anyone describe in simple english, how does multiple channels of high resolution data "fit" into those subframes ? Obviously there is some "extra" processing(compression ?) going on.

Besides that, the other information I am seeking is -
If there is some sort of a compression/decompression involved, then is it lossless ? or does the high bit depth and rate suffer ?

And in the light of that question, does it make any difference to let the receiver decode the signal i.e. send it to the receiver over spdif v/s let the player decode and use the analog signals from the player itself ?

percy said:
Oh well. I will keep searching, but in the meantime could anyone describe in simple english, how does multiple channels of high resolution data "fit" into those subframes ? Obviously there is some "extra" processing(compression ?) going on.

Besides that, the other information I am seeking is -
If there is some sort of a compression/decompression involved, then is it lossless ? or does the high bit depth and rate suffer ?

And in the light of that question, does it make any difference to let the receiver decode the signal i.e. send it to the receiver over spdif v/s let the player decode and use the analog signals from the player itself ?

No one fits multiple channels of high resolution data into SPDIF. IEC61937 and SMPTE337 et al. cover the transporting of compressed audio over IEC60958 (SPDIF). It is already in form of MP3,AC3, DTS etc. All the spec does is specify how to convey said data from point to point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.