KSS 240A pick up...CD player parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
where is the Spindle bearing ?

DSC03041-1.jpg

How do I adjust focus ? what tool do I use.. very small screwdriver ?

DSC03046.jpg

kss.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi qguy,
Those heads are factory adjusted. Don't touch those pots!! If the unit was working and now it doesn't, the adjustments were correct.

where is the Spindle bearing ?
It's in the disc (or spindle) motor. Behind the head in your first two photos. It shouldn't have any play but you must check all directions. I find that spinning the motor with a low voltage supply and rotating it around will show up most problems. You will hear a knocking sound, or rattling.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi qguy,
As rabbitz says, check for lubrication. Clean it all off, including the gears. Look for broken gear nylon while you clean. Replace broken gears if any. When you relubricate, use a fine, single weight oil with zero additives. Not 3 n 1! Do not leaver excess oil in there. The slide gets a thin coat of white grease.

Some transports had the guide that would warp. This would throw off the alignment and may cause the head to jam as it travelled. Check for that too.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi qguy,
Do I see cracks starting in the slide guide for the head? That's the white nylon edge where the laser slides back and forth, opposite the bar. Give it a good clean to inspect it. Do not reuse old grease.

Hi Andrew,
The best way to see if the head is still good is to observe the eye pattern (and possibly measure the laser current) near the beginning of the disc. If the pattern is good anywhere, the head itself is okay. There may be an alignment problem. That is mechanical and will affect a replacement also.

-Chris

Is there any chance I can hijack this thread momentarily? I have a problem with a KSS-240A so there hardly seems a need to create a new thread..

The old KSS-240A was dead, so I have replaced it this afternoon, the new KSS-240A works great but constantly when the laser is "ON" there is a fairly high pitched whine, which is really annoying, also when the laser is accessing the disc, there is a clicking noise like when your hard drive in your computer accesses data..

Both of these are fairly noisy and annoying.. does anyone know how to stop these noises? its definitely the laser pickup because when you take the disc out, the noises stop.. and the clicking is in time with reading/spinning speed up and down of the CD..

Its not in an audio device but its an old Sega Mega CD console (called Sega CD in the USA)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the slight hijack of the thread ;)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As for the thread starter's problem:
Replace the white flat cable. (First pic)

chaoticjelly:
I know the symptom but can't explain in plain English.
It's the squealing noise a laser makes when trying to read a disc. I believe it has something to do with too much gain somewhere.
Native speakers might be able to translate my poor phrasing. :)

-=Hugo=-

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Hugo,
You are correct. No problems with translation there. ;)

Most newer white flat cables have been good, so you may be onto something there. I completely forgot about those!

Hi chaoticjelly,
Either your focus or tracking gain is too high. This is a job for a technician, not a home pot twiddler (no offense). You would need an oscilloscope minimum.

-Chris

Ok thanks for the advice guys.

When I compared the new pickup to the old pickup I noticed that 2 out of the 3 white pots at the back were differently arranged.

I read on another thread here that these are factory set and should not be altered.. so I did not alter them.

However I dont have access to an oscilloscope, ive been after one for a number of months but to no avail..

Would it work if I adjust these two white pots to look the same as the old pickup?

Will the squeal eventually destroy the laser with use, or is it just annoying but harmless?

Many thanks for your advice to this pickup newb, your very kind :cool:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi chaoticjelly,
Those controls are for laser power and offsets. I really don't want you to touch them, "no good will come of this" as my wife says. The gain controls should be on the PCB. The gains are switchable electronically and are higher in search mode. The controls will change the play mode gain. You need an oscilloscope do do anything constructive.

Less damage will result if you leave them alone. But this is one reason a good technician costs more, but is cheaper to use in the long run, sometimes in the short run too!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.