converter dynamic range sucks!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2002, 03:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default converter dynamic range sucks!!!

Hi.

Im with a serious problem that seems that afects all audio cards but protools TDM/HD.
I sold my mixer and bought various simple preamps. The fact is that a Joemeek or a Presonus blue tube has +18 to +24 db gain. Lets take the case with presonus. Its a stereo tube mic preamp that can output +16db without clipping. But when I use it with my LUNA 2496 I/O box, that has 94 db A/D dynamic range, the box clips when the pre is on +2db. So, I cannot use the real sound of the preamp, because the I/O box doesn support the output of this simple mic pre. Now Im planning on buying (and building) some really good preamps with lots of headrom like neve, api, or any other professional unit. If I was using protools, I would set the converter to consider +24db as the digital clipping of the converters. Thats why Protools is used by the professionals, because it is professional. They can go LOUD and WARM by pushing up his preamps at maximum gain and get that total fat vocal without any digital FAKE plugin. But I cannot pass +2db gain, with my tubes all lighted down, asking why my final mix cannot sopund like pros... No, a mastering plugin or valve emulator/exciter cannot overcome this problem.

The question is:

Is there a digital converter that gives me this regulation but is not protools? Like any converter for ADAT lightpipe format. Apogee, Swissonic, Lucid, etc...

I was thinking about building a box with 8 line level -10, -15, -20db pad and 8 channel mute (so I can freely connect and disconnect the preamps, turn phantom power on and off, etc, without clipping the converter) and insert before the LUNA I/O box converter.

What do you think about it?
Old 23rd December 2002, 09:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What about the pad on the Bluetube? Couldn't you use that?

Stu
Old 23rd December 2002, 11:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Rarafredd

It sounds reasonable, but I would use a stepped attenuator, similar to the ones in this thread, rather than just fixed pads, it will give you a bit more control over the signal, and lets face it, we all like having knobs to fiddle with!

You will probably also need to either go active or use relays for the mute function.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!