converter dynamic range sucks!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I´m with a serious problem that seems that afects all audio cards but protools TDM/HD.
I sold my mixer and bought various simple preamps. The fact is that a Joemeek or a Presonus blue tube has +18 to +24 db gain. Lets take the case with presonus. It´s a stereo tube mic preamp that can output +16db without clipping. But when I use it with my LUNA 2496 I/O box, that has 94 db A/D dynamic range, the box clips when the pre is on +2db. So, I cannot use the real sound of the preamp, because the I/O box does´n support the output of this simple mic pre. Now I´m planning on buying (and building) some really good preamps with lots of headrom like neve, api, or any other professional unit. If I was using protools, I would set the converter to consider +24db as the digital clipping of the converters. That´s why Protools is used by the professionals, because it is professional. They can go LOUD and WARM by pushing up his preamps at maximum gain and get that total fat vocal without any digital FAKE plugin. But I cannot pass +2db gain, with my tubes all lighted down, asking why my final mix cannot sopund like pro´s... No, a mastering plugin or valve emulator/exciter cannot overcome this problem.

The question is:

Is there a digital converter that gives me this regulation but is not protools? Like any converter for ADAT lightpipe format. Apogee, Swissonic, Lucid, etc...

I was thinking about building a box with 8 line level -10, -15, -20db pad and 8 channel mute (so I can freely connect and disconnect the preamps, turn phantom power on and off, etc, without clipping the converter) and insert before the LUNA I/O box converter.

What do you think about it?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Rarafredd

It sounds reasonable, but I would use a stepped attenuator, similar to the ones in this thread, rather than just fixed pads, it will give you a bit more control over the signal, and lets face it, we all like having knobs to fiddle with!

You will probably also need to either go active or use relays for the mute function.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.