Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2002, 09:25 PM   #1
fezz is offline fezz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default upgrades to marantz CD6000 OSE

hi, i am considering attacking my CD player with a soldering iron. what would be the most cost effective things to do (and most simple)

i am considering upgrading the capacitors inside it, but as most (if not all of them) are Elna cerafine anyway, i dont see much point and i doubt i will get much, if any improvement by doing so.

should i put a new clock, such as the 'superclock' in, and if so which one should i chose?
Old 26th December 2002, 05:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello fellow Brit. I cannot comment on the electrical mods you mention, but I can suggest some mechanical mods. All 3 of my CDP's have benefitted from dampening.

You could go to Maplin's and buy Brown Bread Roll (very similar to the very over-priced Dynamat); or Akasa pax.mate computer dampening matting; or Dynamat (available from Halfords). Blu-tack is also a very good dampening material - but I don't advise you use it on the underside of the top cover in case it falls onto the transport. The Akasa is a fairly light product; so I don't believe it is as effective a dampener as Dynamat or Brown Bread; but it may well be totally adequate for the purposes of CDP dampening.

Open your cd player (you might need a Torx T-10). Cover the underside of the top cover with the dampening material you chose (make sure you can still re-assemble the cover onto the chassis). Be brave and remove the pcb and transport from your chassis. Place dampeneing material everywhere you can on the chassis; again making sure that you can re-assemble PCB and transport. Place little strips on the transport sides. You might even want to try dasmpeneing the clock - get some good old blu-tack and wack a tiny bit on the clock (the clock is usually encased in a can and is situated near the DAC (the biggest chip on the pcb).

Adding mass and dampening is one of the best mods you can do for a CDP IMO.

Whilst you are at it - remove the feet of your CDP and see if they are hollow (they often are). If hollow - fill them full of blu-tack and re-assemble.

At the end of this your CDP will weigh up to 1kg more and will be better able to absorb vibration. I have found that sound resolution does improve with this mod..
Old 26th December 2002, 08:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: upgrades to marantz CD6000 OSE

few CD6000(SE) photos ... after mod's

Link:http://www.garmin2.prv.pl/

Regards
Old 26th December 2002, 09:48 PM   #4
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

fezz,

I would strongly advise you to check out LC Audioīs parts for upgrading CDPīs.

I have modified a SCD-XB940 and a Marantz CD63KI-SE with the LClockXO2 and Zapfilter2 and both players became regular high end machines.

/Peter
Old 3rd January 2003, 06:54 PM   #5
rickpt is offline rickpt  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi fezz

I have been modifying my marantz cd6000 for the last 8 months...
You can do some simple things to improve your player.

First go to the link that preatorious provided, there you can find the cd6000 schematic. The ose version is similar but for me it sound's worse...
Grab the schematic and let's start...

1- Remove the mute transistors but be careful when connecting and disconnecting the player.

2-remove de the 100pf caps in parallel with the output. The typical capacitance of your audiophile cable is enough. The caps are: 2227, 2228

3-if you donít use the headphones out, remove it... you will be surprised
Cut some tracks and 2 jumpers and you are done

4-replace the hdam, use opamps... my favorite is the ne5532 but the final choice is up to you but, with the other ones you only going to hear more distortion...also remove the output hdam

5-remove the caps labeled: 2111, 2112, 2117, 2118. I donít use bypass caps any ware... listen and you will see

Here are some simple mods... if you want more contact me on my personal e-mail

Donít waist money on caps and clock's... the return investment is small...

Best regards

Ricardo
Old 3rd January 2003, 10:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hello Fezz,

I would certainly waist money on a better clock since it really impoves your player. Modified a lot of cdplayers with clocks and after all I dare to day it is 50 % of all possible mods.
Elso Kwak's or Guido Tent's are some clocks you can choose. It really is an enormous improvement in some players. I never had one player that became worse or stayed the same if you would like to hear that as a assuring remark.

Concerning opamps there is some choice. Better drop-in replacements for NJM2114 are : OPA275, OPA2134, OP249 or OPA2604. I have experience with all of them and for me the 2604 and 2134 are the better choices. YMMV.

NJM2114 is in fact a modern replacement for a NE5532.

Others are AD8620 but it is available in SMD format only. Have received them recently, no experience with them yet ( stories are promising ). One could also use single opamps like OPA627 or AD825 ( SMD again ) but a special adapter is necessary if you want to use them. Price is high I have to warn you.

Further I agree with Ricardo maybe except for replacing the HDAM's for opamps.
Old 3rd January 2003, 10:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

case damping will be the most significant mod to that player.
Old 3rd January 2003, 10:47 PM   #8

Stryder, did you ever build in a clock ? I did in tens of cdplayers varying from this Marantz, Marantz CD60's, Marantz CD63's, Marantz CD65's, Marantz CD67, Marantz CD80's , Pioneer PD 204, Teac VRDS 10's, to a Copland CDA288. Just to mention a few.

Damping is very good to do but the clock is the heartbeat of the player.
If the heart isn't good ( a simple crystal with an inverter IC isn't ) one can use damping as much as one likes and the player will never be top league.
Old 4th January 2003, 12:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm not one to beat round the bush. I was just trying to raise the profile of damping as a mod; too many people overlook it or scorn it. Clock-change is a powerful mod that I have heard is worthwhile to do; but when all is said and done damping is as good or better and much much cheaper and less hassle.
Old 4th January 2003, 12:26 AM   #10

I suggest to do both: damping and a better clock. The sum of all mods will be a even better player.

Hide this!Advertise here!