Is it true?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Phil,

I read www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm

where an EE suggested/ claimed in PC audio, jitter is not really an issue, though without any detail etc

I'm a sceptic . . but

I’m going over to PC audio for a audiophile system, and a family system; one internal soundcard, the latter external to a 2nd hand notebook. (Both M-Audio, cheap off eBay)
While planning these two PC audio systems, I was hoping for some similar conclusions/ clarification/ measurements

Cheers,
Rick

Somewhere on the TI website there is an article on the development of the SpAct architecture that they had to develop to create the compatability between USB (an asynchronous signal) and digital audio formats (which are synchronbous). It details in more detail than I could ask for the issues surrounding jitter and USB audio transfer. I'd recommend looking it up.

The short answer to your question from that article is that the USB transfer eliminates all jitter related to the normal sources in a CD player, but does not eliminate jitter completely. There is still jitter from the innacuracies of the clock source feeding the USB converter chip, the accuracy of the PLL within the USB chip, and possibly even from noise in the power supply feeding the USB chip.

Cheers, Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.