Laser Diode current for KSS 151A? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2006, 07:44 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

I guess I bought the only new KSS151A spare unit on stock in Bulgaria, now after the measurements results not quite neccessary at this time... They charged me end-user-price of about 90 EUR.
Old 27th October 2006, 02:12 PM   #22
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Those heads were very expensive when new. I can understand a vendor trying to recoup their money. I think Nakamichi list was $450 ~ 550. CDN or something while new. There was an NEC head that was much more expensive used in the Nak OMS-5/7, Also in the first Alpine CD player. That was a wonderful head. I did buy one new from Nakamichi, the memory stings but I'm still using the player (OMS-7).

-Chris
Old 15th April 2007, 09:49 PM   #23
wsjoe is offline wsjoe  United States
diyAudio Member

I think I bought the last 30 laser units from Japan two years ago. I can't remember who the vendor is but I still have 10 left and I am selling them for $85 here in the US. These are brand new in box and never opened. I used them in alot of mid-high end Denon DCD-2560, DCD-3520 and DCD-3560. These are the same ones that go inside high end Sony players as well.

The same laser is sold here in the us but it costs about $130 after tax and shipping cost.

Installation is not easy as you have to take apart the whole mechanism and some soldering.

Good luck!
Old 18th April 2007, 09:47 AM   #24
wckong is offline wckong  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Post #23

Hi, wsjoe

Your Post#23 refers. Do you offer to sell kss 151A? I've been looking for one for my non-working Akai cd player cd93. How much will be the cost to deliver one to Hong Kong ? Being a new member, I cannot email you directly. Please take the trouble to contact me : email address : wckong1950@netvigator.com

Best regards!
Old 20th September 2012, 10:21 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

there are a lot of suppliers for the laser diode itself in the meantime (search for "KSS-151A" at ebay). This means, that there are at least few companies, that perform the replacement procedure include operating test.
But I don't find such a company.
Old 10th June 2013, 07:51 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
there are a lot of suppliers for the laser diode itself in the meantime (search for "KSS-151A" at ebay). This means, that there are at least few companies, that perform the replacement procedure include operating test.
But I don't find such a company.
are there any news?
check out post #17 of this thread:
TOSHIBA DLBA2Z002B laser
Old 26th August 2013, 01:37 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
are there any news?
Yes, there are some news I would like to share
After I found my old CDP Sony 338ESD (employing the KSS-151A) under a layer of dust but still alive I checked the old thread for details on how to estimate the condition and remaining live of the laser pick up unit.
Before to play with the Iop measurements I came across the attached part of some kind of a service manual.
I did wait for the player to warm up and measured Iop=52.8mA (the factory set Iop=50.7mA according to the printed label). Then played a little bit with the trimmer for Iop adjustment for lowering the current down to the threshold not to accept CDs and turned it back just a bit. No matter how much I decreased the initial Iop after around 10 minutes of warming up the LD the Iop settles up to 52.8mA It means the auto power regulation system sets the necessary current for the needed laser beam power. After 22 years of operation (the CDP is dated back to 1991) the Iop current has an increase of 2 mA for keeping the beam power. According to the attached file I still have some 8mA to go before to consider the pick up for replacement if still any remained in the world at that moment of time...
BTW I tried to look for unused (spare) KSS151A and crashed. The parts selling companies say it's discontinued along time ago. On ebay there are only used parts with unknown condition but shamelessly priced...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSS151a.jpg (75.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 26th August 2013, 01:55 PM   #28
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The exact figure will depend on temperature too. Unless you match the (unknown) factory temp then the readings are bound to be a little a different. The laser power preset doesn't hold the current constant but rather the optical output from the laser diode as I think you realise.
Old 26th August 2013, 06:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I don't know but I really want to believe that in the factory, before the adjustment of Iop for the right output, they had given enough time to the laser to reach nominal working temperature and then to adjust Iop. In this case my readings and the factory readings should have good correlation.
And yes, the optical output is to be kept constant but with aging this is by the cost of higher current as a sign of exhaustion. So far I did not know how much mA in excess was the threshold for faulty unit. Now the manual for KSS151A says Iop+10mA

P.S. On top of everything in my CDP the 22 Ohm current sensing resistor is 5% tolerance. 5% of 50mA are some 2.5mA error

Last edited by beauty_divine; 26th August 2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 26th August 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I don't think you have anything to worry over with regard to the laser diode.

All you could realistically do as an experiment is cool the unit to say 15C and measure the current, and then compare it to the value after the player has been running for a couple of hours. Now you have adjusted the trimmer the exact original setting is lost anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!