Black CD-R blanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is something for tweakers who experimented with green
CD painting and any newer changes...

On my system I recognized always in this direction a change of
the sound!

My last sound improve steps where using (burn with Nero 5.5) :

- burning 1x against Nx

- using Gold CD-R blanks from Mitsui against Silver

- using Yamaha 3200 against Plextor 1210

- using Yamaha using Master Mode (Fixed 4x speed)

- Black CD-R blanks SmartBuy (700/80)
www.smartbuydisc.com

- Black CD-R blanks HiSpace Carbon CD-R (700/80)
www.hi-space.com

does someone also tested the BLACK blanks and found out
something changed on this system?

Hp. Widmer

I haven't tried black CDRs myself, I bought a large stock of
Kodak before they vanished, but the swedish tweaking guru
Josef Svalander used to recommend black Memorex which
he claimed to sound better than anything else. He attributed
this to its light-absorbing properties. It should be noted, however,
that he has now discarded these in favour of some other brand.
I don't remember if these ones were black too.

Edit:
Just checked Svalanders webpage. The ones he recommend
now are called RazorSound and are black as well. Further, he
claims the 24x version sounds better than the newer 40x
version.

Did you see the latest from Verbatim? I can't comment on sound, but they really feel like Vinyl.

I did some substantial amount of copies on Verbatim and Fujitsu CDRs and on lesser machines, Verbatim was causing problems, while Fujitsu not.

I also like SmartBuy blanks. However most of my copies I do on Pioneer CD recorder and I have to use Audio blanks. My choice is limited to Maxell and Fujitsu only.

Attachments

• vin.jpg
    vin.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 403
- burning 1x against Nx

- using Gold CD-R blanks from Mitsui against Silver

- using Yamaha 3200 against Plextor 1210

- using Yamaha using Master Mode (Fixed 4x speed)

- Black CD-R blanks SmartBuy (700/80)
www.smartbuydisc.com

- Black CD-R blanks HiSpace Carbon CD-R (700/80)
www.hi-space.com
Hi,
can somebody explain or gimme a hint how these points can improve the sound?:confused:
All I know is that the music on a CD is heavily scrambled so...
Doesn´t it all depend on the quality of the converters and the cd-drive for better reading and less need to correct errors.

Jens

>> Did you see the latest from Verbatim?
>> I can't comment on sound, but they really feel like Vinyl.

Good to know that other start's to deliver in this direction. But they do not point out about altered sound an reduced reflection .

Currently I do not have seen such Verbatim blanks yet!

Well, I did broke the smartbuy & hi-space into pieces :

- hi-space : was easy to break, result : small pieces

- smartbay : hard to break (may like vinyl, result : 2 pieces)

I did also some tests at night with my red laser pen against various CD-R surfaces like as an ordenary cd player would. I have seen the high red light laser reflection spots to the wall using usal CD-R base material against overall low reflection on black surfaces.

Hp. Widmer

Burn top quality MP3's to any CD, and you won't be able to tell the difference between either the CD brands or the original. MP3's are simply read as data and not as audio, and no matter how it's read the EXACT same data goes into the MP3 decoder and then into the DAC. MP3 decoding is fundamental, so the only thing you can do to improve sound at this point is get a better DAC.

i dont understand why you people are comparing sound quality of different cd brands and even BURN SPEEDS?? CDs are purely digital--If i burn a DATA cd at 1x on a black cd with a plextor, vs the same data cd on a 48x burner on a cheap brand kmart blank --- the outcome will be the same--- if it wasnt, the program wouldnt work... in music cds, if a few bits were off here and there, you could possibly hear a difference, however in data, if a few bits are off here and there---the programs would cease to run.. and what about the verify feature?? This does a bit by bit check from the copy to the original, to ensure copying was correct. I only use the cheapest cdr-s i can find, the cheapest burner that has buffer protection and never had any problems.. i agree with djss, the only improve you can make is to improve the mp3 decoding, or ripping in the first place.. after that point it is a bit by bit copy.. on a side note----the expensive cd-rs will stay reflective and not fade for over 50years, vs 20 or so on the cheapo cdrs, however by then i hope to be using a different medium. surely, if you hear any difference in a different 'color' cd, it is psychological..

--chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.