What do Foobar, J River, etc do better than Windows Media Player (10 or 11)? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2006, 04:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What do Foobar, J River, etc do better than Windows Media Player (10 or 11)?

Of many features we all will not use, WMP has the odd nice unique one.

For video, screen capture.

For audio, er, variable speed playback. Make Meatloaf sound like Pavlovs Dog?

Seriously, if your HD can sacrifice enough space, is there anything wrong with WMP?

Cheers

I have heard that "Media player
is one of the worst for playing video for it's lack of plug-ins and
codecs. WMP won't even play DVD unless you install a proper version of a commercial DVD player and then you're better off using that player." . .
but my interests are audio
Old 24th October 2006, 04:19 AM   #2
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used Winamp 2, Foobar, Windows Media player, Media Monkey, and Winamp5. I briefly experimented with JRiver.

They all seem the same to me.

I currently use Winamp5 with ASIO output. Theoretically, this avoids supposed Windows kMixer issues with bit-perfect output.

I once did a blind A/B test using a builtin motherboard AC97 sound card. WaveOut based playback sounded worse than WDM.
Old 24th October 2006, 04:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Daveis

Thanks, but I am not expecting differences in or asking about sound quality.

I am asking about useful features. I could have made it clearer, in particular about flexible "library management" & flexible random play.

Thanks
Old 24th October 2006, 05:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

While I dont use it anymore, MediaMonkey did have nice MP3 tagging and management.
Old 24th October 2006, 08:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Iíll be using a lossless format, probably FLAC; presumably media players eg Foobar, JRiver etc have the same tagging and management etc ability with them?

thanks
Old 24th October 2006, 06:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What do Foobar, J River, etc do better than Windows Media Player (10 or 11)?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rick57
[B]Of many features we all will not use, WMP has the odd nice unique one.

For video, screen capture.

For audio, er, variable speed playback. Make Meatloaf sound like Pavlovs Dog?

Seriously, if your HD can sacrifice enough space, is there anything wrong with WMP?

WMP to me is rubbish, sonically for .wav replay and wrt video play. The blue surround is infuriating and the quality is far worse than windvd or power dvd.

Why do people want video displays when playing music. Foobar 0.8.3 is the most flexible and supports 24/192 replay.
Old 24th October 2006, 08:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Does foobar do anything other than good 24/192 support?

I've played 24/96 sound from WMP and it seems that it wasnt downmixed to 16/44 by windows Kmixer.

foobar has always seemed to be trailing all the others in functionality, especially, tagging and filename management.

Support for 50 file formats isnt really important as I only use MP3, FLAC, or WMA Lossless. (Used to use Monkeys Audio)
Old 25th October 2006, 12:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

> WMP to me is rubbish

Version 11 is supposed to be much better, but better enough?

Available since May, anyone tried the beta?

Cheers
Old 25th October 2006, 04:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: What do Foobar, J River, etc do better than Windows Media Player (10 or 11)?

Havent tried WMP 11 Beta. Kind of afraid to.

Looked at latest foobar2000. Bypassing Windows kernel mixer involves either user ASIO (what I prefer) or "experimental" WDM output...

This is what foobar says about it's support for bypassing Kmixer...

Allows bit-exact playback bypassing Windows kernel mixer. Activated through playback / output preferences page (device list). Warning: this component is experimental and provided for testing only; it is known to cause stability issues on certain configurations. If you experience any problems while using it, please revert to regular output modes ("Primary Sound Driver" etc).

For USB headphone listening I use WMP. For listening on the speakers I use anything that can output ASIO... currently that's Winamp5 and I guess now foobar2000.

What I really want is a music player that can use asio and process my music through VST crossover plugins. Until I find that I'm going to have to loop my audio out one port and into another.

Given that Microsoft created the video encoder used in HD DVD... I doubt they are far from embedding good DVD support into WMP.
Old 25th October 2006, 05:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis
Does foobar do anything other than good 24/192 support?

I've played 24/96 sound from WMP and it seems that it wasnt downmixed to 16/44 by windows Kmixer.

foobar has always seemed to be trailing all the others in functionality, especially, tagging and filename management.

Support for 50 file formats isnt really important as I only use MP3, FLAC, or WMA Lossless. (Used to use Monkeys Audio)
Try 0.8.3 special first; lots of plugins and Asio driver versions. DOS like interface is good to me and you can disable/discard any feature you don't want. Take a look.

I don't believe that one needs fancy UI but you can download one as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!