Who has the "best" PCM1704 DIY board/design/kit??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are competent in making your own board or can have a board made for you, I recommend adapting Sheldon Stokes' tube dac design. SDS Labs DAC Designs
You should substitute the CS8412 with a CS8414; you can substitute the very hard to get NPC SM5843 digital filter with a NOS module from Peter Beyer; The PCM63 can be substituted with the PCM1704 and; you can get rid of the entire tube I/V stage and its assoc. power supply and replace this with Lundhal amorphous core transformers. The adaptation isn't a straight forward PNP. You will need to make some track changes and change several components but these are not difficult to do.

I have such a dac in my system and the music is sublime. I have also heard a dac built using these components but utilising a very advanced layout and PSU and it easily beats even the most expensive dacs such as the likes of DCS etc.

If you are keen, PM me and I will share more of the "non proprietary" details with you.

Also looks good.
Have you heard it ?
Any idea what the sound signiture is like 7 how much it is?
Cheers
Actually I heard it. I'm part of the design team :)
Sound signature... it depends on the configuration chosen; for example, with digital filter switched off, it's actually a NOS dac; I like it like this with sample rates 176-192k; on lower sample rates SQ is better with digital filter on - we put a tremendous amount of work in the filter, which is way powerful than anything inside usual chips.
Another option is the I/V stage, as the board output is current only. With partner board RD30IV, it sounds like "multibit on steroids" :cool: with tons of resolution, layering and naturalness.
I also tried with a (modified) Aikido tube boards I/V with Lundahl interstage transformers and I was quite amazed by the results; the smoothness, liquidity, bass performance and vocals are the strong points.
However this is my subjective evaluation. :)

Hi Lupulroz,
got some prices from your site today & although it looks good but 1230 euro for the kit is a little pricey for me when there aren't any independent refuse to give me some prospective.
Thanks Ihear21khz but i'm looking for a solid state dac really.
I've been looking at the sonic crafte modded Schiit Bittfrost
What do any body think think of that DAC???

There is no arguing with that logic & don't get me wrong It does appal no doubt it's just being a novice it's hard to make an informed judgment so I am left with judging on th oppinions of others and reading betwen the lines & filling in the blanks.
I will keep a watch for it though & try to talk to people who have bought it.
What would b the best transformers you could use with this also.
Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.