My first DAC, CS8415/PCM1796 based

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After following this interesting forum for some months now, I decided to try designing my own DAC. Beeing the first audio project, I will try to keep it as simple as possible.

I managed to find two main parts: a CS8415 and one PCM1796 DAC.
At this time, I have two questions. First, I saw a lot of designs using CS8412/8414/8416 as sp-dif receiver. Still, none using CS8415. It is a particular reason for that? From the datasheet I saw that it can be used until 96kHz and has a hardware more. Did I miss something?

The second question is about using PCM1796 without a microcontroller. I know that it must be software controlled, but the default mode is I2S/24bit. It will be possible to use this dac without an controller?

As about I/V converter, I want to keep it simple, so I will go for passive conversion, followed by an opamp.

Dragos

Thank you ezkcdude for you reply. I must say that your ezdac was one of my inspiration sources.

Why bother with PCM1796? Two reasons: first, I manage to find it, and that is not an easy task in my country. Second, once I pay it, I would like to use it, and the task of programing a microcontroller is a little above my present skils.

As about CS8415, I was curious why there aren't any designs using it. Seems to have the same capabilities as 8414 but seems that nobody use it.

I'm not sure you understand what I said. CS8415 is an obsolete chip. The newer chip is CS8416. I would think CS8416 would be easier to find over there, but maybe I'm wrong. As for the DAC chip, it's not clear to me whether you want to use a microcontroller or not. PCM1796 requires a microcontroller. If you don't want to use a microcontroller, you should instead use PCM1794 or PCM1798.

I understand what you said about CS8415, but this is the chip I have, so I want to use it. It seems very hard to find CS8416 here.

For the dac I do not want to use a microcontroller, instead I want to use PCM1796 in its default mode. I understand from the datasheet that, after a reset, the default mode of PCM1796 is I2S - 24bit, so that is how I want to use it. I just want to know if somebody did that before with succes.

Dragos, you can contact adrian.albu#anzitech.ro, he can help you with CS8416 or any other Cirrus IC.

I have 2 CS8416 bought from Anzitech, for 5,2$+TVA a piece, in may 2005.

They are in Bucuresti, somewhere near Gara de Nord - http://www.anzitech.ro/images/harta_mare.jpg.

PCM1798 poti incerca sa comanzi direct de pe ti.com ca si mostre, daca nu stiai asta deja.

This might interest you:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=59357&highlight=

PCBoards Bucuresti makes 4 layer PCB's; the PCB for this project, "unicat", is around 80-90 euros I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.