DACMagic II Schematic/Service Manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I2S signal for dual TDA3105 DACs

Reviving an old thread - links are dead...
I managed to find the schematic diagram for the D/A and analog sections, see below. However, CA does create balanced output from a single TDA1305, one for each channel. This means they need to do something special with the I2S signal, and that a standard I2S output with L/R data will probably not work. This is bad news as I would like to connect a PBPi as media streamer to it.

bIEQUAADs=

I have just started looking into this but in short the problem is that I do not understand how the designers at CA (John Westlake) have done this exactly. They use 2 separate data lines, one for each DAC chip (L/NOT_L and R/NOT_R, resp.) with the data for both balanced, symmetrical channels somehow split and inverted. These are synchronized over a single Word Select line and master clock.

Could somebody enlighten me how this is done and what the I2S signal should look like?
Would be really grateful for a link to the service manual, or schematics of the digital section as well!

Last edited:
Schematics for Dacmagic 2 / DAC3 / CD6

Could somebody enlighten me how this is done and what the I2S signal should look like?
Would be really grateful for a link to the service manual, or schematics of the digital section as well!

Following up on my previous post: I contacted Cambridge Audio support for a service manual for the Dacmagic 2/DAC3. Initially they could not help me as the unit was designed in the previous century. However a request to the engineering department brought up some schematics, also for the CD6 which has a very similar DAC section.
All is clear now, a 'normal' I2S signal is coming from the receiver chip (TDA1315) that should be useable for cummunication.

For anybody interested in these units: I will upload the schematics to Hifiengine.
(Note that these are revision C and have some manual corrections that are included in the rev. D for the analog part that is available from the Elektrotanya site.)

Via this way I also want to say a big thank you to Tom Castle from Cambridge Audio for his support in tracing the old schematics. Highly appreciated!

Nijs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.