DIY 5.1ch Glass DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ak_47_boy said:
Is there any DAC scematics out there that will do 5.1? Best quality possible.

Not specifically, but if you have individual digital data streams for each channel of the 5.1 system, then you could just use 3 stereo DAC chips/boards or 6 single channel DAC chips to get the 6 channels (the 0.1 part is the 6th channel here). Then the DAC chips would feed I/V converter resistors and then be amplified by your favorite gain stages.
The DAC chips outputting a current signal of course.

All i see is 2 channel DAC's on ebay and such. Why is this? It is not possible to use 3 dac's to get 5.1, they wil all just output L & R?

edit: and i also dont get why alot of dac's i see input coaxial and output coaxial? I thought it was a "Digital to Analog Converter"? How is a man supost to get dolby surround out of coax these days.....

edit: wow i stumbled on a sweet sight just now
http://sound.westhost.com/p-list.htm

Part of your problem is your mixing concepts. A DAC just takes a digital stream and converts it to analog. It can do stereo. With 5.1, you first need to decode and decompress the audio signal, then send it out to multiple DACs. A DAC on its own won't decode and decompress 5.1 audio, that's in the realm of a DSP. Now, once the DSP has decoded the signal, there's nothing stopping it from sending out 3 digital "stereo" feeds to 3 DACs to give you 5.1, but you need the DSP first.

That DSP is the tricky part, both Dolby and DTS want money to use their software. You can get the Dolby Digital algorithms on the net but DTS is still pretty much closed up.

So, that's why you're not getting much of a response, due to licensing fees, its close to being out of the realm of the DIYer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.