Tracking problem, need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I got an intermittent tracking problem on my Sony DVD player model DVP-S745D. I believe the lens need to be replaced. I have checked with Sony & the replacement of the optical pickup mechanism costs quite a bit. I better off buying a new DVD player but this Sony player is quite good in term of the picture quality.
Therefore I would like to find out if anyone out there replace the lens before.
Thanks!

Hi,
I removed the cover & have a close look at the lens & the surrounding area but I couldn’t find any part number (nothing, no label). I also find it difficult to replace the lens. Judging by the lens mechanism, it doesn’t seems to be cheap or rather S$10.
I’ll call Sony & hopefully they can reveal the lens part number to me. Is it possible for me to replace with another make or model of the lens?

For S$149 might as well buy new DVD.:D
Here is a photo to check whether it is KHM220AAA or KHM220A.

Attachments

• khm-220.jpg
    khm-220.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 116
Hi,
You must be new to this sort of thing.The price quoted by Sony is as good as saying don't bother just buy a new dvd;it will make you and us very happy.:D

The actual price of KHM220AAA is alot less if you buy it from laser lens distributors.Go to Sim Lim Tower look for :

HI-TEK Electronics Pte.Ltd
#03-24
Tel:6 2999378

This is just one of the few shops that sell lasers if he has'nt got your model ask for referal to other shops.I guesstimate the price to be no more than S$ 20 or under.If you don't or are'nt sure of how to replace laser then I can help you.

Hi Singa,
I called up the shop that u mentioned. These 2 lens are not available. Any other shops that i can try?
Yes, i am very new to all these but i'm interested in repairing (DIY) whenever possible.
One question: will the picture (for DVD player) or the sound (for DVD & CD player) degrade as the lens age even though there is no sign of DVD or CD player having tracking issue?
Thanks!

Hi Assyst1606,
If the laser is "AAA" only use that because the connector or unit will not fit.You need to go there and hunt; go to the shop I listed and ask the boss the name of the shops that might have the model.Try to go before 2pm sat.(sun.closed). as some shops close at that time.I think the other shop is also on the 3rd. flr.

If you still can't find it ,I suggest you put it aside and consider buying another dvd.Good luck.

Regardind ageing of lens I doubt you can percieve or notice degradation of picture or sound; it is quite subtle you don't notice at all.

Hi Singa,
Is it possible to modify an old CD player to have a digital coaxial out terminal? Pls yes, what are the parts needed & how it can be done?
My old Sony CD player model CDP-590 still track very well. I’m thinking of modifying it with a digital out so that I can purchase a budget but latest model DAC to improve the sound quality.
Thanks!

Hi,
In most cases the digital processing ic or decoder has a digital
out or spdif pin but is not implemented.So you need to identify the part number of the ic and down load the datasheet to confirm.From the datasheet it may show what is the best way to do this vis-a-vis direct connection to rca or terminate with the proper impedance which is 75 ohm. or boffer with transformer?etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.