cambridge audio cd 4se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vey interesting....
I don't have any 12V batteries though.

I was going to put another transformer inside the case with some simple regulation at first. I'm sure that your method would help but you still have everything (digital and analog) except the motors and servos running from the same supply.

There are 2 5 V regulators at the bottom of the board. I wonder if they get fed directly from the DC rails or from the +/-8V regs? I'll have to investigate that.

I like the idea of the dacmagic with lots of seperate supplies but will I be able to do it without damage?.

(P.S. (Off topic) If you are still using the Cyrus amp you should change the large caps. I can confirm from my recent experience that they are probobly cream crackered.)

martin look at the board from under neath , all the + regs are fed 5 in total from one cap then there is the -VOLTS WHICH THERE ARE TWO REGS wihch comes from one cap i have a pic look there its your old pic . i am happy to run the transport from its internal power
the other cap is negative i am sure the op amps ne5534 two dac chips clock and the positve supply to the op amps

Attachments

• 31 may 06 164.jpg
    31 may 06 164.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 211
hi martin i got shot of the cyrus it was to bright for me lacks bass, i got a nad 3020 mod and it sound's more musical. the two regs from the bottom are fed from one cap also the top 3 regs i have been using a pc power supply for all these it sounds good but i am not sure if the battrey power is better it should be mind you it last a few days with out charge by a car bat
the only way i can describe the sound after mods is comparing it to something that sounds £3000 deep bass wide transprent 3D soundstage strings sound sharper and more focused you pick out music without any shut in effect the trouble is now i feel i need hi end amp and maybe speakers to show what it can really do

Cheers, I'm definitely going to experiment!!

Can anyone tell me what the NE5534 is doing? is it a buffer for the dac's output or an integrator or both? Or, is it connected to the DAC's input? I'll try and work it out for myself but I'm very inexperienced.

What's Gan On: I can't believe that you swapped the Cyrus for a 3020. I have a 3225 and it sounds so thin and weedy with my Tannoy 611. It's a shame that you never heard the cyrus with new smoothing caps. It's a high current amplifier that is starved by those two old capacitors. Perhaps my NAD also needs new caps and this is an unfair comparison. I heartily recommend anyone with a Cyrus one or two to change those smoothing caps now!!

Cheers,
Martin.

hi the 3020 sounds warmer and laid back i like it better i hate the forward sound of the cyrus 2. is the nad you have anything like the 3020 as i have tons of bass and lots of power
the ne5534 are either buffing or acting as regulation
martin what i would do mate is buy a motor bike battery for £8
hook it upto the positve side of things and wow what a cd player
all you do is cut the trace from the diodes to the cap then hook up the wires to the cap

then you will see that the cheaper opamps sound more like valves with a good clean detailed sound only when they have very clean dc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.