Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2006, 03:06 AM   #21
Z33 is offline Z33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezkcdude
Have you though about how to split the SPDIF signal? Will it need to be buffered?
It may, but I was going to start with a simple 2-way splitter transformer to replace the pulse transformer that's in the CDP. I found a couple of possibly useful ideas at:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

I've also got a couple of commercial 75-ohm dist-amps that I could use, but I'd rather a simple approach, and winding toroids is easy.

RandyB
Old 13th October 2006, 07:44 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezkcdude:
I will admit that now I'd like to learn how to use Eagle, so I can make these Gerber files I keep hearing about.
Take the initiative and dive in. Eagle has a very good user manual and tutorial in pdf format that are a great help in getting you started. I highly recommend giving it a try!
Old 25th March 2007, 03:57 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

It's been a while since I've updated this thread (or visited the forum really), so I thought I'd say "hi". I just wanted to post a couple of pics from two builders who have finished the ezdac in the last couple of months. The first guy used his own PSU for the DAC (not shown in the pic), and the second guy used my PCB's for both the PSU and DAC.

Ted K's DAC

Click the image to open in full size.

JR's DAC

Old 26th March 2007, 07:33 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hey ezkcdude,

Remember a couple of posts back when I recommended diving into Eagle? I take it back. On a recommendation from a friend I tried out the DipTrace software package, and I like it well enough that I layed out hard cash and bought a copy. Like Eagle there is a limited function freeware version and if your needs are greater there is also a DIY'er license available at a discount for non-commercial use. I find it a lot easier and faster to use than Eagle.

Cheers, Terry
Old 26th March 2007, 11:40 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by metalman
Hey ezkcdude,

Remember a couple of posts back when I recommended diving into Eagle? I take it back. On a recommendation from a friend I tried out the DipTrace software package, and I like it well enough that I layed out hard cash and bought a copy. Like Eagle there is a limited function freeware version and if your needs are greater there is also a DIY'er license available at a discount for non-commercial use. I find it a lot easier and faster to use than Eagle.

Cheers, Terry
Thanks! I haven't yet moved away from ExpressPCB, since it meets my needs. But I will look into that DipTrace if/when I need to.
Old 28th March 2007, 08:25 PM   #26
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi ezkcdude,

Heres the psu I use with the Ezdac
Its one of Jens Rasmussens psu's

Cheers,
Leo, not Ted
Old 28th March 2007, 10:26 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Cool! Sorry about the name mixup, not sure what I was thinking.
Old 28th March 2007, 10:38 PM   #28
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No problem

I would have thought more people would have built the dac by now, come on chaps lets see some piccies
Old 30th March 2007, 06:17 PM   #29
TedS is offline TedS  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and ordering the PCB's for this project. I've been reading up on the datasheets and studying Evan's schematics. I have a couple questions to ask, though.

I'd like to use the DAC with multiple (2) sources. Is it hard to make that work with this kit? It appears that the CS8416 can handle up to 4 single ended (SPDIF) inputs.

Ted
Old 30th March 2007, 06:32 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TedS
Hi guys,

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and ordering the PCB's for this project. I've been reading up on the datasheets and studying Evan's schematics. I have a couple questions to ask, though.

I'd like to use the DAC with multiple (2) sources. Is it hard to make that work with this kit? It appears that the CS8416 can handle up to 4 single ended (SPDIF) inputs.

Ted
Ted, I believe that JR, who built the DAC in the second pic above, connected a switch that allows him to switch between two different sources (you can actually see it in the picture). Maybe you could post this question on the EZDAC user group, and see if he can help you out with that. I think it would be difficult to tap into the other CS8416 inputs directly, otherwise.

Hide this!Advertise here!