EZDAC is singing now!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ezkcdude said:
Have you though about how to split the SPDIF signal? Will it need to be buffered?

It may, but I was going to start with a simple 2-way splitter transformer to replace the pulse transformer that's in the CDP. I found a couple of possibly useful ideas at:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

I've also got a couple of commercial 75-ohm dist-amps that I could use, but I'd rather a simple approach, and winding toroids is easy.

RandyB

It's been a while since I've updated this thread (or visited the forum really), so I thought I'd say "hi". :D I just wanted to post a couple of pics from two builders who have finished the ezdac in the last couple of months. The first guy used his own PSU for the DAC (not shown in the pic), and the second guy used my PCB's for both the PSU and DAC.

Ted K's DAC

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

JR's DAC

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey ezkcdude,

Remember a couple of posts back when I recommended diving into Eagle? I take it back. On a recommendation from a friend I tried out the DipTrace software package, and I like it well enough that I layed out hard cash and bought a copy. Like Eagle there is a limited function freeware version and if your needs are greater there is also a DIY'er license available at a discount for non-commercial use. I find it a lot easier and faster to use than Eagle.

Cheers, Terry

metalman said:
Hey ezkcdude,

Remember a couple of posts back when I recommended diving into Eagle? I take it back. On a recommendation from a friend I tried out the DipTrace software package, and I like it well enough that I layed out hard cash and bought a copy. Like Eagle there is a limited function freeware version and if your needs are greater there is also a DIY'er license available at a discount for non-commercial use. I find it a lot easier and faster to use than Eagle.

Cheers, Terry

Thanks! I haven't yet moved away from ExpressPCB, since it meets my needs. But I will look into that DipTrace if/when I need to.

Hi guys,

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and ordering the PCB's for this project. I've been reading up on the datasheets and studying Evan's schematics. I have a couple questions to ask, though.

I'd like to use the DAC with multiple (2) sources. Is it hard to make that work with this kit? It appears that the CS8416 can handle up to 4 single ended (SPDIF) inputs.

Ted

TedS said:
Hi guys,

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and ordering the PCB's for this project. I've been reading up on the datasheets and studying Evan's schematics. I have a couple questions to ask, though.

I'd like to use the DAC with multiple (2) sources. Is it hard to make that work with this kit? It appears that the CS8416 can handle up to 4 single ended (SPDIF) inputs.

Ted

Ted, I believe that JR, who built the DAC in the second pic above, connected a switch that allows him to switch between two different sources (you can actually see it in the picture). Maybe you could post this question on the EZDAC user group, and see if he can help you out with that. I think it would be difficult to tap into the other CS8416 inputs directly, otherwise.

Thanks; I'll post over there, too. I'd like to find out what kind of switch he used. I've been thinking about this for awhile, and have read about source selection switches on SPDIF lines causing reflections and other bad things due to messing up the 75 ohm characteristic impedance. But maybe it's ok to use a switch at the end of the line?

Ted

t. said:
Mine currently sounds very good, I'm using a Burson buffer on the output, discrete regs and a PF flea for the XO now:)
No listening fatigue at all!
Notice how the pcb is going discolored in the corners

That's great! How long have you had it running?

Oh, as for the browning, it's due to the old ExpressPCB lead-free process. They have since switched (back?) to using lead, and the boards don't do this anymore (thankfully).

ezkcdude said:

That's great! How long have you had it running?
[/B]

It was fitted last night and left to burn in, I was listening to it this morning, infact I'm still listening to it;)
I would like to try the Pass D1 I/V next but I'm not sure if it can do balanced to line out, My UCD has balanced inputs but my passive pre is only line in and out

Oh, as for the browning, it's due to the old ExpressPCB lead-free process. They have since switched (back?) to using lead, and the boards don't do this anymore (thankfully). [/B]

Thats not much good for me though:bawling: Only joking:clown: :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.