AD8620 vs. OPA134

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright,

I'm hoping Dorkus will read this. I know he has had some direct experience with the two..

Yes, I know this is more of an "analog" question, but it is for digital source ;) Which of the two do you like better? Why? Can you describe the sound differences? Noise? THD? IMD? or is it just the sound?

THanks - This is the first place I've seen a preference for something other than the Burr Brown opamps for audio - I'm intersted, and I certainly respect your guys' opinions (well, some of you anyway ;) ;) :D):D )

I do not know if you are interrested but i have a preamp using the AD8610 (Which is basicly the same as a AD8620) and compared to the OP275 (I know it is not the OPA134) the mid and highs are more smooth and more detailed.

It is worth trying. Only remember the lower supplyvoltage of +/-13V.

Impressive is the channel separation of 137dB@10KHz and 120dB@300KHz.

I would be greatly limited by the board design and not the opamp!

I hope it is not tooo much nonsense....

Sonny

sonnya said:
I do not know if you are interrested but i have a preamp using the AD8610 (Which is basicly the same as a AD8620) and compared to the OP275 (I know it is not the OPA134) the mid and highs are more smooth and more detailed.

It is worth trying. Only remember the lower supplyvoltage of +/-13V.

Impressive is the channel separation of 137dB@10KHz and 120dB@300KHz.

I would be greatly limited by the board design and not the opamp!

I hope it is not tooo much nonsense....

Sonny

Which one are you saying is more smooth in the mids and highs?

Stu

Hey thanks guys!

Well, its a start... I wonder where Dorkus is hiding???

I really don't want to get into a debate on God here... although, I fervanently disagree with A LOT of what was said in the link that halojoy provided. Perhaps I will have to add some comments to that thread... or start a new one altogether in the "everything else" category...

Thanks -

hey capslock :)

Congrats on being the first to understand my name :)

I could be mistaken. The information was retrieved from the deep inards of my brain last month. I remembered reading it in the Audio Cyclopedia a while back. Sorry if it is incorrect - I'll try to look into it sometime after Christmas... a little hectic right now.

Tschüss

I guess I can comment on this... though I haven't used the 2134 and 8620 in an identical circuit. In general, I find the 2134 produces a slightly warmer, more musical sound, but masks some of the fine details which come through in the 8620. Overall, I find both opamps to be excellent, with the 8620 having a cleaner, more detailed and transparent sound, but on the lean/dry side (it's hard to describe this, but too much of this characteristic feels artificial to listen to). I feel the 134 sounds more natural and musically involving, with great tone despite it's slight weakness in resolution and transparency compared to the 8620.

Either choice is excellent, IMHO, and much better than most other opamps, and the strengths/weaknesses I've described are relative. Also, bear in mind that I've only used these opamps in different circuits, so take these comments with a grain of salt. I haven't done any direct and truly fair comparisons, although my experience correlates very well with what others describe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.