CD Rip/SPDIF error

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I am basically new to the digital domain, at least as it related to audio and this forum (coming from speaker and amp forums). I have been ripping CDs ossless wav format to my HD. I am thinking I did not lose (jitter) in this process. I have an M-Audio SPDIF output to an external DAC that I disconnected from my Cal Labs Transport. First brief listen sounded pretty good, but need a more thouroug eval. I am thinking this path should result in a decent reproduction, but that is a somewhat ignorant thought. What should I be concerned about? Can the rip introduce any clock errors? What is the USP/Is2 interface?
THX,
-BG

Copying a CD to a hard drive is just bits, no timing is involved.

It's only when you get into reproducing that music in real time that the timing of the bits matters.

You could save yourself some hard drive space by using a lossless compression codec like WMA lossless. It still uncompresses into a bit-perfect copy of the original.

I tried using FLAC and it doesn't seem to have the greatest support for ID3 tags. I have a program that will let me tag FLAC files, but my media players don't seem to recognize it.

For playback your options are many, Windows Media Player and Winamp are the most popular.

With a wireless router, you can use a networked media player like the Roku Soundbridge or the Slim Devices Squeezebox to play your music from anywhere in the house.

Then there are portables like the IPod.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.