Is the NE5532N Dual Opamp any good? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2002, 10:12 PM   #1
Account Disabled

Default Is the NE5532N Dual Opamp any good?

I got the service manual for my H/K FL8550, and this is the opamp that it uses on the main board. Is it worth replacing these with better opamps? If so, what would be an improvement?

-Paul
Old 17th December 2002, 11:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default NE5532 is good but there are better ones

Yes, it is worth replacing. Specifications of the NE5532 are not that bad, especially distortion numbers are still very low compared to modern opamps. Sonically the OPA2604 is a lot better, as a second choice I can recommend OPA2134 or OP249.

Please do a search on this forum for this opamp and also Google for datasheets of all types mentioned. There is a site where some types are tested. The author seems to like the NE5532 a lot and he sure didn't do sonical tests. It is possible that his site gives you more questions than answers but it is interesting to read.

http://www.dself.demon.co.uk/webbop/opamp.htm

Before I forget: be sure to check the supply voltage of the NE5532 in your HK. Its maximimum is +/- 22V which is a lot compared to most others. Standard is +/- 18 V maximum. If it is fed with +/- 15 V you can use the advised types.
Old 18th December 2002, 12:33 AM   #3
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default Re: Is the NE5532N Dual Opamp any good?

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulHilgeman
I got the service manual for my H/K FL8550, and this is the opamp that it uses on the main board. Is it worth replacing these with better opamps? If so, what would be an improvement?

-Paul
The NE5532 is a popular op-amp is supposed to be fairly good. (the P is the same with a little closer tolerances) I have heard better things about the opa2134. I have used this for a subwoofer active crossover. Just because it is a better opamp in terms of specs, doesn't exactly mean it will sound better in your setup. I would recommend getting some samples of a few types of op-amps and see if you notice a difference. The two mentioned above should just be drop-in replacements.

You can get 3 free samples of 8 devices from www.ti.com. I would recommend getting samples of the opa2134, opa2604 and others, so you can try them out for sonic characteristics.

--
Brian
Old 18th December 2002, 12:50 AM   #4

Although the answer of BrianGT is practically the same as I gave I disagree on the OPA2134. It will always sound better than the NE5532. Not spectacular I admit, but always a bit better.
If you want to play safe, buy or beg ( sample program ) OPA2604.
Big difference, no hassle.
Old 18th December 2002, 02:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You should be able to find at least one post on the forum already on this opamp. Some people say it is a very good sounding opamp.
I have heard that the NE5532 from ti sounds better than the JRC version though. The main physical characteristic that I've found between the two has to do with the material that the legs are made of. The ti version has much harder legs and therefore it may have a more solid sound to it. I've never compared the sound of the two so I can't say for sure though.
Old 18th December 2002, 02:58 AM   #6
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

I use NE5532 & NE5534 a lot
You could do worse but not so very much better
when doing like me.
Old 18th December 2002, 04:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
Although the answer of BrianGT is practically the same as I gave I disagree on the OPA2134. It will always sound better than the NE5532. Not spectacular I admit, but always a bit better.
If you want to play safe, buy or beg ( sample program ) OPA2604.
Big difference, no hassle.
I wasn't trying to say that the OPA2134 isn't a better opamp then the NE5532, I was just trying to imply that he should try it out, not just blindly accept that it is better.

--
Brian
Old 18th December 2002, 05:10 AM   #8
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by JordanG

I wasn't trying to say that the OPA2134 isn't a better opamp then the NE5532, I was just trying to imply that he should try it out, not just blindly accept that it is better.

--
Brian
sorry for any confusion, I was using my roommate's computer earlier... wrong id.

--
Brian
Old 18th December 2002, 06:35 AM   #9
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hmm.. from my experience, the 2134 is a significantly better sounding opamp than the 2604 - you'll have to try for yourself and see...
Old 18th December 2002, 06:48 AM   #10
Mats J is offline Mats J  United States
diyAudio Member

Are the 2134, 2604, and 5532 drop in replacements for each other?

Hide this!Advertise here!