"Stacking" TDA1543 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2006, 03:53 AM   #1
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "Stacking" TDA1543

Hey all,

I have basic question...I have a single TDA1543/CS8414 setup and quite happy. I noticed a number of designs that have nore than one TDA1543 (up to eight) to improve sound quality and wonder if it would be worth it to literally Stack another one or two on top of the existing one I have...the same pins would be soldered t the same pins of the TDA1543 below it...these TDA1543 chips can be had quite cheap, but wonder if anyone done it, or worth it. One such design is attached from this site...

My power supply is 12V and 1.5A, so I think I have enough "juice" for another 5V TDA1543...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac_ah_circuit_new2.jpg (97.4 KB, 667 views)
Old 5th October 2006, 09:49 AM   #2
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Default Re: "Stacking" TDA1543

Quote:
Originally posted by john65b
Hey all,

I have basic question...I have a single TDA1543/CS8414 setup and quite happy. I noticed a number of designs that have nore than one TDA1543 (up to eight) to improve sound quality and wonder if it would be worth it to literally Stack another one or two on top of the existing one I have...the same pins would be soldered t the same pins of the TDA1543 below it...these TDA1543 chips can be had quite cheap, but wonder if anyone done it, or worth it. One such design is attached from this site...

My power supply is 12V and 1.5A, so I think I have enough "juice" for another 5V TDA1543...
AFAIK they draw 60mA per chip, so you could get away with 4 or more pieces... watch out for cooling issues (maybe stick pieces of copper sheet between them). Additional cooling is mandatory with more than two stacked.

Should be ok, but you need to change Vref and the IV resistors as the Iout would add.

Here's a nice tool I discovered on another forum for calculating the resistors.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tda1543calc.zip (7.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 5th October 2006, 10:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Go for it. I've got 16 in parallel.
Old 5th October 2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What difference do say 16 makes, say to one or eight ? I have a Dac with 8 in it. Is it worth adding 8 more i.e 2 lots of 8 to make 16 ?
Old 5th October 2006, 11:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

16 is not a massive difference over 8. You can hear a little more.

Is it worth it? Yes, if you can deal with the practical problems.
Old 6th October 2006, 01:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Wow, that was a quick response...

I have ordered a few more TDA1543...and found a newer TDA1543 calc that corrects the Vout...Thanks lucpes...your ver was 24, newer ver is 28... I think...

Anyway, I have read that a few people run their TDA1543 at voltages above 5V (mine is 5V)...upwards of 8 - 9V with heatsink to increase the output to thier pre...I have a low gain tube amp and can use the input boost...

So I noticed my Vref and IV resistors are both 1K (single TDA1543) ....and according to the calc, if I stack one more TDA1543 and leave the 1K resistors as is, I have the same effect as running one TDA1543 at 8V (same increase in the output), and with two chips, it should sound "better"?

Is this correct and recommended?

To use a total of four stacked (I bought three more), I understand I would definitely need to modify the resistors, but I decided to try one first without changing any resistors...if recommended...

Here is a link to what I have...

http://us.hifidiy.net/Article.asp?ArticleId=152

Pretty simple, cheap, and basic, and I am liking it with my stepped attenuator on a few Gainclones, Tripaths and UCD180 amps...

Thanks all
Old 6th October 2006, 02:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john65b

I have ordered a few more TDA1543...and found a newer TDA1543 calc that corrects the Vout...Thanks lucpes...your ver was 24, newer ver is 28... I think...

Could you please attach is to this thread?
Old 6th October 2006, 02:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here you go...
Attached Files
File Type: zip tda1543calc.zip (7.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 7th October 2006, 06:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Old 7th October 2006, 06:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Uh, you can't just willy-nilly add stacked chips. You have a fanout issue here. First, you take care of the obvious power supply needs.

But then you have to drive the logic inputs. Will need some sort of heavy duty buffers to drive them properly without totally screwing up the rise/fall transitions. I'd suggest using a small series resistor for each receiver pin. Can be 100 ohms or so. Also helps separate the distributed capacitive load. Anyway, bottom line is you'll have to redesign the BCK, DIN, WCK drivers too. Proper fanout and clean terminations are in order.

Regardless, one problem you will have is different propogation delays. The output from each DAC will switch at a slightly different time. They're all close, but if in parallel, you will now add some jitter to the output currents. Or basically, not-so-clean edges. Filtering can help this problem.

Anyway, just paralleling devices can get you into a world of trouble. You have to appropriately design everything around the converter (on either side) to accommodate parallelism.

Of course, if all you are looking for is more volume, then go for it.

jh

Hide this!Advertise here!