24 bit/192Khz spdif ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DragonMaster said:

That could be a solution to remove the 24-96 limit of the PCB of the thread I wass talking about.

The 96k limit is limited to the ASRC output and it is not a function of the CS8406. It will happily pass 192K data. It is the ASRC that is limited to 96k by the mode it is set to operate in on that particular board. Given the added circuitry needed to get the ASRC to output 192K data, it is understandable that the designer opted not to.

DragonMaster said:
I see, so in fact, it's better to buy the bypassing version, that just leaves the original samplerate instead of resampling everything.

Exactly; that's what I have. The output from the asrc in version 1sucks and doesn't sound good compared to the pioneer spdif output.

The problem with the 192k output is that there is very visible jitter (about 10nS spread on my scope in the eye pattern). Needs an external relock circuit.

Unlike other comments, I can play 176.4 and 193k .wav files thru my dCS system, and sonically there is a lot more transparency that 96k. Pity there is not much good music although high sample rate recordings are on the up.

SACD converted to 88k thru the Pioneer 575 and relocked thru my dCS sounds good upsampled to 176.4k.

which transport?

" ... The problem with the 192k output is that there is very visible jitter (about 10nS spread on my scope in the eye pattern). Needs an external relock circuit ..."

" ... Better look for an other SPDIF transmitter then! ..."

" ... The 96k limit is limited to the ASRC output and it is not a function of the CS8406. It will happily pass 192K data. It is the ASRC that is limited to 96k by the mode it is set to operate in on that particular board. ... "

So, what exactly are we talking here? Problems with the 24/192 chips or problems with USB?

How come this is possible? : " ... supports 16-channel Lightpipe operation at 88.2 and 96kHz sample rates via the SMUX protocol ..." (converted and connected via FireWire "transport" >> from: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFireLightbridge-main.html )

I guess I'm confused by the "transport" references. We apparently have several methodologies available to "transport" and convert to analog from 24bit/98k or 24bit/192k over a distance using optical/coaxial/twisted pair(s) interface ... recognizing that the various competing chip makers are, as usual, overly complicating their specification and nominclaiture in order to appear "better" ... and clarification about the number of channels per pipe/port/fiber/cable connection we are dealing with might in order.

... and has anyone seen this gadget: http://www.digitalaudio.dk/ax24.htm = "... 224 different configurations ..." including multichannel 24bit/352+k ... these folks apparently recognize the limitations of USB and only use it for control, not actual data "transport".

I'm not saying all previous technologies should be abandoned ... just that something commercially viable should be fixed as a reasonable goal for us seeking quality audio.

Lets take a quick straw poll:

DVD-A ? SCAC (sic) ? something else that modern DVD players can deal with?

SPDIF? TDIF? SMUX? I2S? MADI? SDIF-3?

What we decide here may have an affect on this whole grand falloon, so speak up.

:confused:

( I don't have an axe to grind with USB as my company was the first online with USB products in 1996 ( http://usbstuff.com ) :) ... and I would like to do it again with another emerging technology :smash: )

"All the world's problems can be resolved by fixing the impedence mismatch ..." - Bob Porter, mad scientist

Re: which transport?

FastEddy said:
" ... The problem with the 192k output is that there is very visible jitter (about 10nS spread on my scope in the eye pattern). Needs an external relock circuit ..."

" ... Better look for an other SPDIF transmitter then! ..."

" ... The 96k limit is limited to the ASRC output and it is not a function of the CS8406. It will happily pass 192K data. It is the ASRC that is limited to 96k by the mode it is set to operate in on that particular board. ... "

So, what exactly are we talking here? Problems with the 24/192 chips or problems with USB?

How come this is possible? : " ... supports 16-channel Lightpipe operation at 88.2 and 96kHz sample rates via the SMUX protocol ..." (converted and connected via FireWire "transport" >> from: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFireLightbridge-main.html )

I guess I'm confused by the "transport" references. We apparently have several methodologies available to "transport" and convert to analog from 24bit/98k or 24bit/192k over a distance using optical/coaxial/twisted pair(s) interface ... recognizing that the various competing chip makers are, as usual, overly complicating their specification and nominclaiture in order to appear "better" ... and clarification about the number of channels per pipe/port/fiber/cable connection we are dealing with might in order.

... and has anyone seen this gadget: http://www.digitalaudio.dk/ax24.htm = "... 224 different configurations ..." including multichannel 24bit/352+k ... these folks apparently recognize the limitations of USB and only use it for control, not actual data "transport".

I'm not saying all previous technologies should be abandoned ... just that something commercially viable should be fixed as a reasonable goal for us seeking quality audio.

Lets take a quick straw poll:

DVD-A ? SCAC (sic) ? something else that modern DVD players can deal with?

SPDIF? TDIF? SMUX? I2S? MADI? SDIF-3?

What we decide here may have an affect on this whole grand falloon, so speak up.

:confused:

( I don't have an axe to grind with USB as my company was the first online with USB products in 1996 ( http://usbstuff.com ) :) ... and I would like to do it again with another emerging technology :smash: )

"All the world's problems can be resolved by fixing the impedence mismatch ..." - Bob Porter, mad scientist

Herr Oehlrich's board and the AD1896 is one issue, USB another and ADAT a third and it does no one any good to lump them all together.

fmak said:
The problem with the 192k output is that there is very visible jitter (about 10nS spread on my scope in the eye pattern). Needs an external relock circuit.

What scope are you using, and what's its bandwidth? At 192KHz, the sample rate is quite high. If you've got a 20MHz bandwidth on your scope, you'll get spreading which looks like jitter. Plus, the triggering jitter on your scope will spread it even more.

That being said, I've used coax SPDIF, Toslink and AES/EBU, all at 192KHz. Works fine.

gmarsh said:

What scope are you using, and what's its bandwidth? At 192KHz, the sample rate is quite high. If you've got a 20MHz bandwidth on your scope, you'll get spreading which looks like jitter. Plus, the triggering jitter on your scope will spread it even more.

That being said, I've used coax SPDIF, Toslink and AES/EBU, all at 192KHz. Works fine.

150MHz and 400MHz. I am talking about the v1 board and not anything else. What are you talking about?

Something that works may not sound great!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.