Need service manual of Sony CDP 338ESD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sony CDP338ESD service manual

Hi,
I'm a new member, joined today and cruising threads. I once owned a 338 [a £600 player back in '89 in the UK]. I have somewhere a manual for this and I also modded the outputs with better opamps and output caps. From memory they used NJM5532's and a 4560 for the headphone circuit. For the life of me I can't remember what I used to swop out, possibly AD712's or OPA2604's but this was the very early 90's.

It modded well and was well built with good power supplies. If I was modding it now, all I'd do is swop out the mains diodes for shottky/ultrafast versions and change the opamps and perhaps the output caps. One could fit a Trichord clock to it, it responded well according to their database, but this is a 1989 machine and the laser must be on its last legs by now....

I have had a house move and stuff is in two locations. If you still need the info, I think I could scan those relevant sections if you contact me.
Kevin

zanash said:
don't forget the muting transistor[ if fitted ] these have a very detrimental effect on the sound.
As it is a top class machine it doesn't have muting transistors, but relay.
The output opamps I'm going to replace with AD 8066.
The output caps are totally not needed - there is a little voltage offset remaining and it is easy to get rid of it.
I also exchange the transformer secondary part windings supplying the analog part with a toroid and primary stabilized voltage before the original stabilizer schematics.

I really need the service manual in case something might go wrong.

Yep, agree with above suggestions. The good thing about the 338 is that there is space to do mods if memory serves me right.
It would probably make a good transport if Trichord clocked. I'm trying to remember as manual not in this location, if it was this generation or the previous 337 gen that used Phillips processing chips. Ken Ishiwata of Marantz swears that the Phillips dig. output chip was the best ever made by anybody [this quote circa 2004 ish].

K

You are very welcome. I just hope you succeed.

I don't think people should pay for this kind of stuff. too many guys make i living out of selling manuals that's downloaded from the internet anyway.

( Not to mention that most of them are copyright );)

ps. If you frequently is in need of service-manuals, then you can register at www.sharefx.com, it's free

Best regards
Ebbe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.