do all software players play equal audio quality - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2006, 04:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kuldeepsingh
Cool do all software players play equal audio quality

technically is it possible that softwae audio players like winamp, itunes, window media player, real jukebox etc .... play same quality of mp3 or audio cd. coz i have tried listening to all players same piece of music with no extra sound effect and found a little variation in every case.
if its do so , which player you found to be best. my choice came out to be window media player, then itunes

please comment
Old 3rd October 2006, 05:37 PM   #2
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

hi kuldeepsingh,

I have compared cd's (not mp3's) played by quite a few software and found huge differences.

I found winamp the worst of all, media palyer pretty bad, itunes better, creative the best

Once Creative external soundcard Extigy with upgraded power supply was used, the sound was close to my main standalone cd player.
Old 3rd October 2006, 05:45 PM   #3
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
i personally use foobar2000 with an ASIO plugin through my HTPC. the sound card is an M-Audio Delta410. the media files are ripped from cds in APE (lossless) format.

this setup is my main music player and it sounds better than my $1500 denon player.

its not so much the software as the configuration. there are a LOT of ways to configure each one. depending on your soundcard, one could sound better or worse than another. winamp certainly can sound great but it needs to be setup properly.

Hide this!Advertise here!