Dennon 2910 - not reading discs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried this on AA but no luck. Anyone here got more of an idea? tks

I use a 2910 as a transport. Over the last six months it has become progressively less interested in reading some older CDs. The same CDs read fine in my computer drive and if copied to a CDR the CDR works ok in the Denon too.
Sometimes trying to start them 3 - 5 times is worth a go - sometimes they will eventually agree to read the index, and once that is accomplished no other problems arise in the playing the cd.

Does any one have any experience of this? Is it a sign of a dying laser assembly or transport (and if so can a replacement be bought?), or may it simply be dust on the lens (and if so can it be got at for cleaning?), or might is simply be a case of realigning the laser (in which case how do I find out how to do this?).

I'm an EE so capable enough with electronics to be dangerous, so hopefully can carry out whatever is needed without needing to send the unit of to the agents.

Hope someone can help - thanks in advance,

Murray

The symptom is quite obvious so you can try to replace the laser.Open the cover and look at the label of the laser module,example KSS213C or B etc.Don't forget to remove/desolder the short for antistatic protection before installing.Examine the laser assembly or take a photo before you take it apart so that it can be reinstall back properly.If you are lousy at disassembly post a overhead shot of the player.

Thanks!

Do you know if there is any sort of laser auto calibration procedure built in that has to be run in the Denon 2910? A Sony I had had this same problem and fixed itself when I ran it. Any idea where I'd find a service manual or whether I'd even need it?

Murray

I don't know if 2910 needs calibration,in general most do not.A service manual would be nice but not needed.The laser is factory calibrated or set so no adjustment needed.Of course if you think 2910 has gone out of calibration like your Sony then it's your call.Personally I would try the laser swap first.Having a spare can't hurt.You can buy original or clone and the clone is usually cheaper and works just as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.