Dennon 2910 - not reading discs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2006, 07:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Dennon 2910 - not reading discs

Tried this on AA but no luck. Anyone here got more of an idea? tks

I use a 2910 as a transport. Over the last six months it has become progressively less interested in reading some older CDs. The same CDs read fine in my computer drive and if copied to a CDR the CDR works ok in the Denon too.
Sometimes trying to start them 3 - 5 times is worth a go - sometimes they will eventually agree to read the index, and once that is accomplished no other problems arise in the playing the cd.

Does any one have any experience of this? Is it a sign of a dying laser assembly or transport (and if so can a replacement be bought?), or may it simply be dust on the lens (and if so can it be got at for cleaning?), or might is simply be a case of realigning the laser (in which case how do I find out how to do this?).

I'm an EE so capable enough with electronics to be dangerous, so hopefully can carry out whatever is needed without needing to send the unit of to the agents.

Hope someone can help - thanks in advance,

Murray
Old 26th September 2006, 04:29 PM   #2
singa is offline singa  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to singa Send a message via MSN to singa Send a message via Yahoo to singa
The symptom is quite obvious so you can try to replace the laser.Open the cover and look at the label of the laser module,example KSS213C or B etc.Don't forget to remove/desolder the short for antistatic protection before installing.Examine the laser assembly or take a photo before you take it apart so that it can be reinstall back properly.If you are lousy at disassembly post a overhead shot of the player.
Old 26th September 2006, 08:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Do you know if there is any sort of laser auto calibration procedure built in that has to be run in the Denon 2910? A Sony I had had this same problem and fixed itself when I ran it. Any idea where I'd find a service manual or whether I'd even need it?

Murray
Old 27th September 2006, 04:39 AM   #4
singa is offline singa  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to singa Send a message via MSN to singa Send a message via Yahoo to singa
I don't know if 2910 needs calibration,in general most do not.A service manual would be nice but not needed.The laser is factory calibrated or set so no adjustment needed.Of course if you think 2910 has gone out of calibration like your Sony then it's your call.Personally I would try the laser swap first.Having a spare can't hurt.You can buy original or clone and the clone is usually cheaper and works just as well.
Old 27th September 2006, 08:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK - thanks Singa
Old 27th September 2006, 11:00 AM   #6
phimor is offline phimor  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Try the spindle motor

I have found on a similar 'sled' player (Beogram CD50) that TOC errors are usually related to slow spindle motors, especially if it reads the rest of the disc OK.

Sometimes just a lube job

Cheers

Philippe
Old 15th October 2006, 01:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default it worked!

Just a (sled) lube job as you suggested Philippe - many thanks!
Murray

Hide this!Advertise here!