Connecting Mixer,Laptop & Microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Connecting Mixer,Laptop & Microphone

Hi,

I need to mix sound from following sources and make one Audio-CD ( or MP3 ).

- Microphone
- Tape Cassette
- MP3 Files
- Audio-CD

I have a laptop with following

- S/P DIF port ( for headphones )
- Microphone port

Questions :

1. How can I connect multiple analog inputs to a laptop ?

2. Do I need a sound mixer or mixing software ?

This is a one time deal; hence I am not planning to spend lot of money.

thanks

ak.

Hi,
The laptop computer should have the basic minimum input/output jacks for you to record and microsoft operating system(win98/XP/2000)bulitin sound mixer.Take note that spdif is a digital signal in/out.Read your laptop's owner's manual for proper usesage.It's definitely not for microphone.Here is what a basic laptop /notebook should already have for sound processing:

1.stereo out for earphone.It can be used as output for amplifier or powered speakers.

2.microphone input.

3.Line in for analog source like tape player,tuner/radio,mp3 player
(earphone jack as output,volume control to set level/amount of signal)For multiple input or more than 1 input at the same time,an external sound mixing console is required.But the laptop should easily give 2 input.(line in and microphone.)

You can use free sound editing/processing software( usually trial software with some features disabled or 30 day usesage.)but there are some that are really free under the open/gnu license,just look harder.Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.