PCM1702 passive output, I/V stage ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2006, 01:04 PM   #1
jbator is offline jbator  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default PCM1702 passive output, I/V stage ???

Hello,

Does PCM1702 can have passive output stage and I/V vbased on resistors only?

I have CD with parallel PCM1702 per chanel and I want to change somehow it's output stage.
Old 20th September 2006, 05:01 AM   #2
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

I took a look at the data sheetTI and Burr Brown web site and it looks like that this DAC will work quite well into an I/V resistor. See my web site of modified CD players with tubes and look at the circuits I did with the PCM61 and PCM56. These DAC chips have the same kind of internal circuitry as yours, so my I/V circuits should work for you.
Old 20th September 2006, 10:30 AM   #3
jbator is offline jbator  Poland
diyAudio Member

What are the rules of chosing value of this ground resistor?
Old 21st September 2006, 12:03 AM   #4
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

For the I/V resistor, most everyone selects a resistor such that the peak current yields a voltage around 200mV. This to avoid any clipping from any ESD (Electro Static Discharge) protection diodes in the DAC chip. I've gotten away with higher voltages, around 1V without any problems from any ESD diodes. It's hard to say what the chip maker did, as they expected everyone to feed the analog output signal into an op-amp virtual ground.
Old 21st September 2006, 05:18 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I generally aim for a max of about 20 - 30mV as good linearity (both DNL & INL I suspect) is not guaranteed with a lot of these current output dacs if there is significant voltage present on their outputs. (They were designed to run into the virtual earth of a transimpedance amplifier or I/V converter as they are more commonly known.) Analog Devices actually specified an allowable voltage at the I out on some of their older dacs before degradation occurs. (AD1860 series iirc 20mV) I think BB may have provided similar information for the PCM63 and others as well.

I haven't seen that information on newer dac chip spec sheets, but assume in an R2R ladder or newer variants of this topology that this may still be somewhat of a concern.

It goes without saying that at these output levels voltage gain is required, I have used tubes in the past and currently favor transformers either from Sowter or Llundahl for this purpose.

Hide this!Advertise here!