No more HDCD with iTunes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Aramys is offline Aramys  France
diyAudio Member

Default No more HDCD with iTunes

I just installed iTunes 7.0 (don't remember which version I used before, 6.something) and my DAC does not detect HDCD anymore when I'm playing my HDCD Apple lossless files. Am I the only one to have this change ?
Old 16th September 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I wasn't aware that Apple lossless was compatible with HDCD, but I do encode hdcd material to flac and play it back in JRiver media center and my dac recognizes that it is hdcd encoded. (Asio only)

JRiver Media Center plays Apple DRM (m4p) and I believe Apple Lossless as well. Media Center is currently free to try for 30 days - I'd try it and see whether or not you can play hdcd encoded material this way provided you have a PC. (You didn't specify, but I suspect you might be using a mac, hence Apple Lossless?)

Current versions of winamp also seem to have this problem incidentally. One of the reasons why I now have media center.

I'd email Apple tech support about this, perhaps they can help, if they are anything like M Audio though you may be sol...

Hope any of this helps..
Old 16th September 2006, 10:04 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
I'd email Apple tech support about this, perhaps they can help, if they are anything like M Audio though you may be sol...
I've not run into HDCD before, but i'd follow kevin's advice... i've seen a number of issues posted wrt the new iTunes ... Apple needs to know them all.

Also check http://www.macfixit.com/

dave
Old 16th September 2006, 10:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi and thanks for your help.

Yes, until now, I had no problem with Apple lossless files encoded from HDCD CD's. They played very well with iTunes and the HDCD light was on on the DAC when playing those files. Something's wrong now and I believe it's iTunes as it still works perfectly under Linux (yes I'm using a PC) with another player. I'd like to stay with iTunes under Windows for now. Seems like another bug in iTunes 7.0.

My brother just told me he has the same problem and that it works again when he goes back to using iTunes 6.0.5.20. In short, Apple screwed up iTunes !
Old 17th September 2006, 03:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi again,

Just so you know, iTunes 7.0 no longer works with DTS files either. So it looks like iTunes is now unable to send a digital stream to an external DAC without any deterioration.
Old 17th September 2006, 04:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

That's an interesting revelation, it probably means that iTunes now uses only direct sound or the native windoz dll by default - neither of which seem to be compatible with dts or hdcd. The implication is that some resampling is taking place somewhere in the processing chain. (Volume control active in iTunes??)

Have you checked to see what resources iTunes configured when it installed - it might be as simple as selecting another audio driver.

It's a common problem with asio as most apps will install and configure for native windoz sound, and need to be reconfigured after installation. Application restart or even sometimes a reboot are required to make the change.
Old 23rd September 2006, 08:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh, I forgot to say I'm using an Airport Express so iTunes streams the music to it. No direct sound involved and volume control is disabled.
Old 30th September 2006, 06:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Same problem with 7.0.1 update. Looks like I will have to use another player.
Old 30th September 2006, 06:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Try J. River Media Center 11, thirty day trial if you don't like you can dump it. Plays Apple media including drm aac.. That said it is now my primary media player for all audio applications. Works fine with asio and hdcd format material.
Old 30th September 2006, 06:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Does it support the Airport Express ?

Hide this!Advertise here!