cd930 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Allright, so I opened my CD930, found the schematic of the output stage and I'm ready to work on it ;) I'd like to :

- modify the I/V stage. Normally, the I/V conversion is done by the opamps integrated inside the saa7350. The idea would be to bypass those and go for a pair of opa1632 for I/V and some opa134 or so for the output. That'd give that schematic at the bottom of the post. Hopefully, I won't need any coupling capacitor anymore. I've just a doubt... should I ground the outputs of the internal opamps ?

- improve the voltage references for the switched capacitor networks (VDACR, VDACL), as suggested by JohnW in another thread.

- maybe suppress the npc sm5840, as suggested by Sander Sassen here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74219 . The digital path of the CD930 is the same (except the sm5840 is smd in the cd930).

Any obvious mistake in there ?

Attachments

• saa7350.jpg
    saa7350.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 363
Hi Ben,

I stumbled upon your thread when searching how to disable the sm5840.

I have a CD940, and I believe they are the same from a hardware point of view. I thought they had LM833 opamps on the outputs. Are they just for buffering and IV is still performed internally? Can't say I've looked at that portion of the player much.
I want to use mine as a transport.
Currently, my CD940 has a riser board, that plugs into a DIL socket where the PCF3523 sits, from here I tap off I2S, and convert to RS423, which I send to an external TDA1541A DAC.
It seems to work well.
I hope to fit a clock to the SAA7310, and electronically disable the digital filter and DAC.

Being a CDM9. I think this can be a good transport. Although, somewhere else, I spotted Jean Paul commenting on how poorly some of the grounding and decoupling is laid out - especially around the servo circuit, maybe its worth investigating that.
I have noticed one of the servo chips doesn't have any capacitive decoupling nearby.

I also think, like most CD players (check out the monstrously big CD63/67 mods thread for ideas), there are improvements to be had seperating out power rails, with either inductors or seperate regulation, improved decoupling caps etc.

Cheers,
Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.