Marantz CD63KI Not Recognising CDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Marantz CD63 mkII KI Signature has stopped working. The obvious fault is that it won’t recognise a CD when it’s in the tray. When you put a disc in, the display just shows DISC. On opening the player I can see that the disc does not spin when ‘play’ is pressed. I have cleaned the laser lens but this had no effect. I’ve also now replaced the whole laser assembly but this hasn’t cured the problem totally, the CDs now spins but the display still shows DISC. i.e. when I close the CD drawer or press ‘play’ etc, the CD spins and the display flashes DISC but then the display returns to a constant DISC, the disc stops spinning and the CD has still not been recognised.
I'd be really grateful if somebody can point me in the right direction.
Many thanks.

Wow, thank you all!

Yep, ESD precautions were taken and yep I pushed the foil connector home, well at least I'm pretty sure I did as I did it twice. I'll see if I can check the foil connector for any breaks using an AVO meter.
Nope, I haven't gone through the self check routine but now I've got the service manual I will, so many, many thanks Andy for posting it.
I'll post my findings as soon as I've done them.
Cheers

Hi Folks,

Right, checked the foil connector and it's pushed home fine, also checked it for any breaks using an AVO meter and it's all okay.
Then went into the self service routine:

- At P00 the laser sled moved in and out when pressing >> or <<.

- At P01 an audible clicking is heard about every second. Note this is a mechanical clicking from the player, not one heard through the speakers. If I rotate the CD gently by hand, nothing is audible through the speakers.

- At P02 the CD rotates in a clockwise direction.

- At P03 the CD continues to rotate in a clockwise direction.

If at any time I press PLAY the display flashes "disc" and then "Err 10" is displayed, i.e. RADIAL error.

So, any ideas what "RADIAL error" is and how to fix it?

Cheers.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sorry guys, schematic does not match my service database.
Anyway, it says (translated)

Clock signal at pin 22 of demod component is normally 6Mhz.
When the fault occurs its only about 4.35Mhz.
Pin 18 is 9V instead of 5V.
C2501( which is not on the provided schematic) is short which results in pin 16 being too positive.

If you can find the demod component(?) this might help.

/Hugo

dlflclhl said:

- At P00 the laser sled moved in and out when pressing >> or <<.

- At P01 an audible clicking is heard about every second. Note this is a mechanical clicking from the player, not one heard through the speakers. If I rotate the CD gently by hand, nothing is audible through the speakers.

- At P02 the CD rotates in a clockwise direction.

- At P03 the CD continues to rotate in a clockwise direction.

If at any time I press PLAY the display flashes "disc" and then "Err 10" is displayed, i.e. RADIAL error.

So, any ideas what "RADIAL error" is and how to fix it?

Cheers.

Can you see the laser trying to focus - ie goes up and down?
In a darkened room, can you see the laser light up when you power up the cdp?

Andy

poynton said:

Andy

a mobile phone containing a camera helps in looking at the infrared laser

Also helpful: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

radial error indicates that the sledge or lens cannot move in the radial direction. When starting a disc it always moves to the center where the TOC is located on thge disc. Does the sledge move ?

best

poynton said:

Can you see the laser trying to focus - ie goes up and down?

Andy

Guido Tent said:

a mobile phone containing a camera helps in looking at the infrared laser

Also helpful: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

radial error indicates that the sledge or lens cannot move in the radial direction. When starting a disc it always moves to the center where the TOC is located on thge disc. Does the sledge move ?

best

Hi

Yep, when there's no CD in the tray the laser goes up and down trying to focus when I close the tray or press PLAY, unfortunately I can't check that when a CD's in the tray as I can't see the laser.
As for actually seeing the laser beam, nope I can't see a thing, but then again would I be able to as I understood IR to be invisible to the naked eye? Unfortunately I don't have a mobile phone with a camera.

The laser sled doesn't move when a CD is inserted, but the laser sled always parks itself at the centre so I'm not sure whether it would move anyway.

What I have noticed though, on doing the self test routine again, at Mode 3 (Display P03), the sled doesn't move when pressing << or >>, something it should do according to the service manual.

Cheers.

poynton said:
Hi,

Does the laser sled move at all ?

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes it does move but only under the following two conditions:

1) If when the cdp is switched off I manually move the sled with my hand to the outside, on switching the cdp on the sled returns to the centre position.

2) In Service Mode 0 (Display P00), it moves when << or >> is pressed.

Other than that, no the sled doesn't move.

Dave

......I believe the laser is illuminated. Most CD circuits make the 3-axis device (optical assy) perform a focus search before spinning the disc. When there is no disc inserted, you see the lens assy move up and down a couple of times. ....yes? If with no disc inserted the turntable never turns , indicates that FZC (Focus Zero Cross) is required before the disc motor (turntable) is told to spin up. When you put in the disc, there's a small delay, the disc spins and then "DISC" is displayed. ...is this correct?

If the turntable hieght has not been fooled with, and in service mode you can make the optical assy move out to the outside edge of the disc, It is sounding like a bad part. More details on what was done in replacing the optical assy would be helpful.

I've dealt with bad out of the box parts on rare occasions. ....but it does happen. It makes you lose a sense of confidence. You start saying to yourself "I was so sure that was the fault". Don't always trust replacement parts. Sets are sometimes bad out of the box. ...so are replacement parts.

mrshow4u said:
......I believe the laser is illuminated. Most CD circuits make the 3-axis device (optical assy) perform a focus search before spinning the disc. When there is no disc inserted, you see the lens assy move up and down a couple of times. ....yes? If with no disc inserted the turntable never turns , indicates that FZC (Focus Zero Cross) is required before the disc motor (turntable) is told to spin up. When you put in the disc, there's a small delay, the disc spins and then "DISC" is displayed. ...is this correct?

If the turntable hieght has not been fooled with, and in service mode you can make the optical assy move out to the outside edge of the disc, It is sounding like a bad part. More details on what was done in replacing the optical assy would be helpful.

I've dealt with bad out of the box parts on rare occasions. ....but it does happen. It makes you lose a sense of confidence. You start saying to yourself "I was so sure that was the fault". Don't always trust replacement parts. Sets are sometimes bad out of the box. ...so are replacement parts.

Hi.

Agreed, the usual sequence is track the sled to the centre, laser on, focus, spin disk etc...

But as the sled does not appear to move in mode 3, I wanted to ensure that power was getting to IC Q105, by checking R127/128 (nominal + or - 10v).
If they are in order, then the next check is R123/122 (nominal +-5v)
Finally, if only the laser unit was changed rather than the complete laser and sled assembly, thoroughly clean the laser tracking slides removing ALL grease and dirt (the laser sled may not be tracking in far enough)

Andy

poynton wrote:
Finally, if only the laser unit was changed rather than the complete laser and sled assembly, thoroughly clean the laser tracking slides removing ALL grease and dirt (the laser sled may not be tracking in far enough)

yup, yup. and sometimes there's what is called an "outsert adjustment". It basically changes the tilt or the azimuth of the optical assy. Check your supplies drive IC's etc. Good luck.

poynton said:

Hi.

Agreed, the usual sequence is track the sled to the centre, laser on, focus, spin disk etc...

But as the sled does not appear to move in mode 3, I wanted to ensure that power was getting to IC Q105, by checking R127/128 (nominal + or - 10v).
If they are in order, then the next check is R123/122 (nominal +-5v)

Andy

SUCCESS, IT WORKS!

Although I must admit, I’ve been a complete idiot, I hadn’t installed the laser unit properly!!!

After the last two post (from mrshow4u and poynton) I went back and checked the things that mrshow4u had asked and all were correct.

As I’d only replaced the laser unit and not the sled assembly I went back and checked for any dirt etc. on the tracking slides, but all were okay. I did notice however that if you manually forced the laser unit so that the gear slipped a notch or two, you could move the laser unit closer to where the centre of the disc would be, the two copper contacts of the servo switch just bending further back towards the spindle motor. I then powered up the cdp to see if this made any difference. It didn’t. I then dismantled it several more times each time manually forcing the gears back towards the outside, one notch at a time and then re-powering up the cdp to see if it worked, which unfortunately it didn’t.
I then noticed that the side of the laser unit opposite to the driving gears wasn’t fixed tight whereas the driving gears side was, i.e. if I pushed that side down it moved and then sprung back again. I then looked again at the old laser unit that I’d replaced and noticed that there was lubricant on one side of the metal guide piece that shouldn’t be there according to how I’d installed the new one. In essence there are two guides on the laser unit, one metal and one plastic and both should be running inside the slot in the laser sled assembly, one on the top side and the other on the bottom, but both inside the guide slot. Like an idiot I’d placed the plastic guide inside that guide slot but put the metal guide on top of the sled assembly, hence causing the whole laser unit to be at a slight angle, more than enough to stop it focussing correctly. I duly re-installed the laser unit correctly, powered up the cdp, put a CD in and it worked first time. It’s since played several CDs without a hint of a problem.

So at least I got one thing right, the fact that the original fault was caused by a worn out laser, just a shame I didn’t install the new one correctly and save a whole load of grief.

Anyway to finish, many, many thanks to all of you who’ve helped with my problem, I probably wouldn’t have found MY fault without you.
Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.